• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first MV

KsM715

:D They had two for sale and the second went for 800 and was in a little poorer shape. the top was gone and the paint was oxidized. but it still ahd the 24v electrical stuff and was listed as a parts truck. I wanted to bid on it too (it had some parts that mine is missing) but I knew my CFO (wife) would have shot me if I brought two of them home. :)

While Im here, does anyone know if its possible to convert to 12v and leave the 24v starter in? Mine cranks really slow, even with a new battery, but once it fires it idles and runs fine. Also anyone know where to get the little hooks on the sides of the bed? someone ground one off and it really bothers me. I'd like to weld one back on.

I'd also like info on the shovel and axe and tools that fit on the bed I'd like to have those too

FrankUSMC

Wolf
You are right the top is a home made top, but, that is VERY commom on the M715 trucks. The M715 trucks cab top bows made it very easy to sheet metal over them. I have seen alot of M715s with very well made metal tops like the one that is on this truck.
KsM715 you did good on the truck, good luck with her.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

KsM715

Wolf

I was pretty sure the top wasnt original from the look of the back window and the fact that the snaps from the soft top were still there and even had some of the top snaps that had ripped thru still atatched.

Theres so much I want to do with the truck it will take some time to get around to it.

I have browsed the GL site before and always thought I probably could never afoard any thing but after looking around this site and M715zone I'm gonna start looking for a trailer and then a good deuce with a shelter.

Wife just rolls her eyes at me and says "Why cant you collect things like model cars or stuff we could actually use".

Barrman

JEEP tail gates are out there. Expect to pay about 1/3 of your purchase price for one with no rust however. You need the tail gate and both sides of the hinges when you are looking.

VPW sells brand new metal for tail gates that have to be welded together. No lettering though.

randyscycle

KsM715 said:
Wife just rolls her eyes at me and says "Why cant you collect things like model cars or stuff we could actually use".
Tell her that model cars are not useful, and they have to be dusted regularly.....you can only look at them.

After that, offer to go get a load of mulch for the landscaping...all of it at once, then do a little property clean-up. Go and get a deuce next and fuel it for free using waste motor oil. She will quickly start to see the merits of your "useless" MV's.

67m715

tail gates are not too hard to find with jeep on the back if you want to pay the price. ive been looking for a little while, and ive found that the average price was $250.... i found a guy that will make one and ship for $250. and my local metal bender will make one for $60! just look around for the best deal. also go and look at the small fire dept.s around your area.

you got a killer deal on your truck!

KsM715

Anyone want to trade this for a running 5ton tractor? I like the M715 but I really want a 5ton but my wife will not let me have both.

KsM715

Wow, Thanks to ODdave I did some digging and came across this thread and the post above.

Almost 4 years later I still have the M715 (still painted red) AND a 5ton tractor AND a bobbed deuce (currently for sale) and several trailers a shelter and a garage cluttered with OD green parts.

Still married, I might die a happy man after all. :driver:

KsM715

Nope, I found that at the same FD that the truck came from. I know a guy thats a volunteer there and just asked him if by chance the tailgate might be laying in a scrap pile. He went and looked and found it tucked away in the corner of the barn.

I do need to find or fabricate some lower hinges and still need to remove some of the remaining square tubing that the FD welded on the back cross member so I can put the tailgate on.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks