• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long Island Ny, Old military collection?

dependable

Does anyone know anything about a Long Island New York site I've driven past? It is a couple of towns south the Orient Point ferry. As I have always been rushing to make the boat back home, and it looks like private property, I have never investigated. There are several od machines viseble from the main highway, the only one I could id in passing was the distinctive side turret of an M-3 tank.

spentshell

That was the old tank museum, the town busted that poor guys chops so bad he packed it up and headed south somewhere. Last I heard he moved towards the Carolinas somewhere.

comdiver

I went there a few times, years ago. Lots of neat toys. At the time he had a DUKW in his colection and I had one also. I don't think there is anything outside there anymore. My guess is that it was at least 10 years ago. Dependable when did you last see it. I am going to Orient in two weeks.

L1A1

Hello
I can't answer your question about who owns those MVs but I can tell you that the guy with the armor museum out on long Island relocated to Danville,VA and opened up a huge museum down there. Worth a look and w/o all the hassle of APG.
Regards,
Matt

mikester

That group of MVs was actually west of the ferry on whats called the Main Road in Mattituck. It was on the south side of the road behind some chain link fence. That was the rear storage area for the museum. And yes its true he moved south because the local town was busting his shoes because new neighbors were complaining about him. Thats LI !!! He had alot of cool stuff

comdiver

Mattituck is a neat little town. One street over is Love Lane. McDonnalds wanted to set up in the town and at first they said no. Then after many battles they got permision, with alot of stipulations. Believe me, you have never seen a better looking McDonnalds building. I wish the museum had won the fight also. The comerical building and chain link fence that housed the museum still looks the same. I always thought it was tastfull and kept up. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE0DE173DF933A05751C1A967958260

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks