• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Word to the wise.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yow! If it was a throttle return spring it kicked your butt, if it was a rear suspension spring, looks like you held your own! What the heck were you doing?

steelandcanvas

The song "Duelling Banjos" from the film "Deliverance" came to mind when I saw your photo. :wink:

Glad to see there wasn't a trip to the ER. You could be a spokesman for Vice-Grip Pliers!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
amazing.. It always seems every "vehicle work" session must be done with a blood sacrifice. No matter what, no matter how small or large, the job just won't go until a token bit of blood is spilt. I'm glad you didn't get hurt bad. That looks painful. Is that a cut on the side of your nose? man be careful out there.

dependable

Thanks for the safety tip
The theme song to the "Caterpillar safety movie Shake Hands With Danger" comes to mind..Actually everyone should check this one out, Has accurate depictions on several accidents that could happen to us, including explosive air brake cylender dissasembely, removal of final drive axels WO blocking, shop accedents ect. You can watch it on line for free. google What I have in quotation marks above.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wearing safety glasses. Was replacing a spring on my Harley actually, but felt it was a good safety topic. Avatar??? Hmmm..... NF6X, thanks....

kcimb

kendelrio said:
I was wearing safety glasses. Was replacing a spring on my Harley actually, but felt it was a good safety topic. Avatar??? Hmmm..... NF6X, thanks....

HOOOAH Bad boys what ya want what ya want what ya gonna do when they come for you...

I always loved hearing that song play. It meant another 1/2 hour of fun was about to start :D

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Today I was disassembling the tailgate of one of my CUCVs, with the usual rear window regulator problems. I managed to get the window pushed down despite a stripped window regulator gear, opened up the tailgate and removed the inside cover. I found that the glass was no longer attached to the metal sash, and simply slid it out of the tailgate.

I was about to remove the regulator when I realized that the arms were down, the gear was stripped, and I recalled that powerful clock spring that counters the window's weight. So, I got my hands out of the way, sang a few bars of "shake hands with danger", and gave the window crank a little twist...

BANG!!

The arms shot up like a pair of guillotine blades. If they had done that while I was removing one of the mounting bolts (and they probably would have), then I could've been Three Finger Joe.

I'm glad this thread came along. It's good to reflect on safety every now and then!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks