• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Intercooler?

mangus580

Has anyone considered putting an intercooler in their deuce? After turning my fuel up the other day, I got to thinking, maybe if I cooled the air going into the engine better, i could safely get more power out of it. Any thoughts on this? I see ebay has tons of intercoolers that could probably be made to fit without too much work. Mostly under $200!!

Lets beat this one up.... I think its worth a good discussion...

Jones

Sounds like a worthwhile project though I think there may be more than just plumbing one in. Reason I say that is; my Cummins turbodiesel is an intercooled engine. I put the engine into a non-intercooled Dodge and was amazed at how gutless it was. Are intercooled engines "de-tuned"? Would it matter on something as big as an LDT-465?

Oh, great... Thanks; now I've got something else to day-dream about.

Jones

bomar76

I thought about this......just remember the intake manifold is heated by the coolant.
Not sure how worthwhile an intercooler would be.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say it's cooled by the coolant, but I'll measure the air temp in the intake manifold adapter to be sure. It may take a while since the deuce will be in the back yard and I'm working on the brakes and wiring at the moment.
The temperature would have to be measured at a boost of 10-12 psi to be meaningful.

Jones

I'm never shy about asking questions if I don't have an answer and I've a diesel mechanic that's real sharp as to what happens when and why. Will run the idea by him and report back. I'm thinking heating hot air hotter by 40 degrees or so isn't near as good as heating cool air hotter by 40 degrees or so. Did that make any sense at all?!?
Jones

Wyattearp

I understand what your saying there Jones, i also have a CTD myself, great engine wouldn't think of having anything else under the hood of a truck.
Maybe someone can beat this around and come up with something, Cranetruck is pretty good at disecting problems, An intercooler would be great but im thinking it would take a larger one. Not sure about the Manifold being heated by the coolant though, of course with hood closed and sitting still the LD engine will heat any part under hood.

Okay i may be crazy so shoot me LMAO....

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your confidence, James! I think the compressor is also heated by radiation from the turbine, which could get red hot. A heat shield may be in order. Just thinking out loud.

Jones

Absolutely right on the turbo high temps. A heat shield would definately help with radiated heat but a good portion of it is conducted through the housing itself. i.e. Warnings to idle engine after long hauls or pulling hard.
Must be confusing to the turbo when it's turbine is wrapped to keep heat in and the compressor is shielded/cooled to keep heat out. Some our bigger power plants have an auxillary electric oil pump that runs oil through the turbo for five minutes or so even after the engine is shut down.
Jones

Wyattearp

Me to Devin,
Actually i tried to post about a turbo preluber and i know they make turbo savers that have set times for the turbo to keep spooling after the engine is shut down to prevent coking of the oil in the turbo shaft area. anyone here have any thoughts on a preluber for the turbo, i had a brain storm this morning thinking about that on the drive home from work....

Wyattearp

boys we will figure it out, it just takes time for great minds to start spinning in the right direction.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Short reply, I typed out a long reply 3 times. Water injection. Do a search under google. Its what I'm gonna do. Too many variables with intercooling (lack of space).

Great topic!
I have wondered about intercooling myself and have checked on ebay in the past, likewise, for intercooler pricing.

Keep this going, someone has got to have access to an intercooler and the initiative to try it.
Which reminds me to get that pyro meter and boost guage that everyone raves about.

bomar76

Giving up on trying to add to this thread.....entered several posts and they dissapeared as soon as posted.

Tired of this.................

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The water in the intake warms the air in cold weather. A intercooler would be defeated by the intake. After you ran all that plumbing you would loose more boost than you would gain. There is a partition wall between the turbine rotor hub and bearing cartrige. The wall keeps temps from reaching the bearings during operation. When the engine is shut off the shaft temps rise from the turbine side. And if hot enough will cook the oil in the bearing ports. Then when restarted the shaft will have no lube.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a small hole on the compressor side that travels through the bearing cartrige to the turbine side. This hole pressurises the area between the partition wall and the bearing cartrige. This keeps the hot exuast gas from getting to the bearing cartrige. If you idle untill the temps come down to a safe level you'll be fine.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man i hate having to make short posts!! Anyway, Water injection is only good for short bursts. It works by turning the water to steam. As it turns to steam it expands rapidly causing very high presseures. This also cools the combustion chamber, causing more unburt fuel. If you spray too long the engine looses power because the heat is gone. If you spray when the combustion chamber is too hot you may super cool the piston rings, causing them to crack and lock up the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks