• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Auctions in Guam and Hawaii.

Lonesome715

I have seen several vehicles that I wanted and are not that common in the mainland. Have any of you bought anything from Guam or Hawaii and had it shipped? If so what is the average cost? Is there an affordable way to get a large vehicle to the States from one of these locations?

ssgtwright-usmc

When I retired last year from Camp Lejeune and moved to Hawaii I had a 6x14 enclosed trailer sent for about $5000.
I finally got reinbursed by TMO.
If you are looking at bidding in Hawaii or Guam contact either (Young Brothers or Matson Shipping).
These are the 2 biggest shippers in Hawaii and Matson is the main shipper between Hawaii and the mainland.
Just call and have the dimensions and weight ready when you get a quote.
I havent seen that many vehicles on the auction site lately but they sure do have alot of trailers and food service items right now. A few misc... items but nothing greaat right now that I see.
I would give Matson a call because they will arrange shipping fromCalifornia also to your door.

Lonesome715

Thanks. I will give them a shout before I bid on anything. I really do not see that type of service being realistic after the purchase price, but it sure is worth a shot.

Lonesome715

I cannot think of anything I need that much of. I have seen several trucks for sale down there that I have not seen for sale on the main land. I am starting to wonder if I should go ahead and try buying something from there.

JeepMan

Lonesome715 said:
If that is the case, I may want some of those WWII vehicles that are just rotting away.
It is really surprisingly cheap if you ship "Roll on-Roll off" however your vehicle most undoubtably will suffer some kind of damage. The dockworkers don't know how to start a WWII vehicle so out comes the forklift to push.
This evens happens to commercial vehicles.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problems and expense come in when you are buying a truck that may not be running (unless you can get someone on the "other" side to get it running). My experience with Matson...if it won't run, it needs to be containerized. This can be costly if you are talking about a larger vehicle like a deuce or 5 ton. Height is also an issue. You can get containers that can accomodate taller vehicles, but they cost more. At least this was my experience from several years ago...

JeepMan

BKubu said:
The problems and expense come in when you are buying a truck that may not be running (unless you can get someone on the "other" side to get it running). My experience with Matson...if it won't run, it needs to be containerized. This can be costly if you are talking about a larger vehicle like a deuce or 5 ton. Height is also an issue. You can get containers that can accomodate taller vehicles, but they cost more. At least this was my experience from several years ago...
You can even get containers that don't have sides/top for large vehicles.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone recently put pics in the photo albums that show how he shipped a 5-ton truck in a standard 40-ft container. If he can do it with a 5-ton, a deuce should drive right in.

Lonesome715

JeepMan said:
BKubu said:
You can even get containers that don't have sides/top for large vehicles.
Do I rent it, or do I have to buy it.

Lonesome715

maddawg308 said:
Someone recently put pics in the photo albums that show how he shipped a 5-ton truck in a standard 40-ft container. If he can do it with a 5-ton, a deuce should drive right in.
But who prepped it for him?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased an M932 several years ago in HI. The truck was not running at the time. I had to pay for the following:

1) towing from the site to another location for containerization
2) the container
3) shipment of the container to the port
4) disassembly of the truck to get it into the appropriate container (the oversize containers are more expensive)...the hard top and exhaust stack had to be removed and the windshield laid down
5) shipment of the vehicle from HI to Los Angeles, CA
6) pick up of the container from the port
7) reassembly of the truck
8) shipment of the truck from CA to MD

All in all, it would have been cheaper for me to buy the truck here IF I could have found a M939 series tractor stateside. They were, and still are, almost non-existent. I paid $4,111 for the truck and paid another $6,500 to have the truck shipped from HI to MD. If the truck ran, it would have been much cheaper (See above RO-RO cargo).

Lonesome715

I bet. I have already seen the price of military trucks in general go up. Now with the cost of shipping on the rise, I doubt I will be able to pull this off.

ssgtwright-usmc

Send me a PM and let me know what you are looking at getting and I can contact Matson directly since they are like 2 miles from me.
I can ask questions if you can give me a general description and dimensions of the item you are looking at getting.
I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and not Oahu which most of the sales and auctions take place.
I usually go to Oahu when I go to Tripler for check ups for past surgeries.
Send me a pm and Ill see what I get as for info from Matson.
Only thing I do see alot of are the old willies jeeps for sale or for trade (2 willie jeeps for a 96 honda civic). Yes, I did see that. Also look up (www.808classifieds).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks