• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton turbo

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just curious if anybody has put a 5 ton turbo on a duece? The stock turbo on these trucks seem to have a small compressor side compared to a powerstoke which has less cubic inches. Seems like they dont offer as much air flow as the motor could use. Does anybody know how much boost a stock 5 ton multifuel runs?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been eyeballing a 5ton with a ldt. It has a much bigger turbo. But i don't want to loose the wistler. If you crank your fuel rate, it will probally be more power than you could ever want.

Dieselsmoke

You can't really figure a turbo by looking at the size. There's so much more involved, but would take weeks of typing and I'm not about to do that:)

Jones

Small turbos make power, big turbos just help with emissions. As fast as they spin, turbos have little or no back-pressure unless you get crazy and go way too small. Both are built for use on the 465s.
Jones

Wyattearp

smaller compressor = faster spoolup with a smaller housing your going to get more boost. the same affect on my CTD, some guys go bigger turbo housing when pulling at the track, yes pple actually use the CTD to pull sleds and let me tell you the Cummins can crank out some massive numbers with the right mods and know how.
Take in to account that this is just a 359 Cubic inch engine to, capable of well over 1000lbs of torque.
As the old saying goes " sometimes bigger isn't better"

brgmchevy

A bit, its not a show, its a go truck. :)
Funny, it hadn't leaked a drop when I bought it?
It had been sitting for over a year before I drove it home.
After a few runs it started leaking from all over. Not much oil loss just messy. Was nice and clean before I drove it home. Oh well, just a diesel thing I guess. :lol:

Wyattearp

i think they were meant to ooze with use, never saw a dump or larger truck that didn't expell some fluid.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a turbo from an LDS-645 once (sold it) and it was much larger than the -D or -C (whistler) turbos. The turbo on the -D is slightly larger than the -C. Also the LDS turbo had a waste gate, a kind of safety valve which lets exhaust by pass it beyond a certain pressure.

1968 M49A2C modified. 1972 HIAB 765A crane and 1960 M756 pipeline truck bed.
11.00-20 NDCC singles.
M103A3 trailer.

"Some things cannot be made better, just differently"

CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Vehicle wiring, adding relays for headlights and turn signals.
Adding small fuel tank (starting and shutting down in cold weather) and installing heating coil in main tank for biodiesel/cooking oil.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have interchanged the turbos regardless of truck size, and we prefer the smaller whistler turbo. I have read the larger turbo on LDT motors was added to clean up smoke (T stood for turbocharged). The smaller whistler turbo (whistles because it spins faster) on the LDS (S for supercharged) models was added to actually build more boost, be more responsive in the low end of the power band. We definitely see an increase in boost pressure with the whistler, and more power, especially with the fuel rate set up.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought, guys setting up Cummins go to the larger size turbos because when fuel rate is set up way over stock along with other modifications, the exhaust volume spins the smaller turbos so fast the compressor side can throw blades through the housing. There are photos of this happening in the Dodge Turbo Diesel Registry magazine. Our whistlers are running in the 25 pound boost range with fuel rate maxed out. I think the larger turbos only get around 15 pounds. Turbos definitely develop exhaust back pressure. That is why when building up my Cummins for my one ton stiffer exhaust valve springs were installed. It takes pressure against the exhaust side turbo wheel to spin the pressure side of the turbo, especially at high boost levels. When building high boost rates, the exhaust valves can be blown open by the pressure in the exhaust manifold; that is why the heavier springs to keep them closed. Improperly tightened pyro sensors in the exhaust manifold can be blown out of the holder. I worked on a Dodge that did it. No power or pressure is free. If we could find free power, we would have the perpetual motion machine!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks