• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton multifuel engine questions

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys, gonna make it short. Is there a difference in the long block between the 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton? What is the H.P. rating of a 5 ton mutlifuel engine? How much turbo boost does the 5 ton put out? Thanks, Devin

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope no difference in the block. But the oil pan in bolted on backwards and it has a different oil pump pickup. Sometimes, but not allways it has a different turbo "some with a exaust brake". Hp rating, Like the 2 1/2 ton there are a few different rateings. 165hp , 175hp, and 225hp. Some M52 tractors are set at 250hp. The difference? The fuel rate! witch is adjustable on the FDC.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soyy, guy, but there is not a multifuel made that will turn out 250 horsepower for more than a few minutes. The 190 horse rating of the LDT465-2 (M656 Ford 5-ton) was really a pipedream. Even the Cummins NH-250 used in the 800-series was hard pressed to make that 250 HP.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The higher ratings for multifuel engines was attained not only with a recurved delivery rate in the pump, but the injectors used a larger displacement and hole pattern, the pistons and the associated oil cooling nozzles were different as well. The turbo for 5-ton use was also different. All this and they were still a "light bulb motor", 'cause you never knew when they would burn out.

Areally nice mill is the Deere DT series. Similar sizing make it an easy swap. Good engineering makes it last.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I added a turbo to my N/A engine it made a BIG difference in acceleration
in particular. Didn't need to downshift where it was necessary before. Yes, no smoke either.
I have the non-whistler, BTW.

Bjorn

the only one i actualy run is the LDS4651A in the 5 ton dump. all i can say is it's a good thing it's a hobby truck more or less. loaded it is greatly under powered. most of the time people get over being mad as they pull along side to pass after being stuck behind for a bit and get a look at the rest of that slow moving smoke machine. i'm not saying i don't get some dirty look's but i get a whole lot of smiles and or thumbs up !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks