• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gel batteries

mbwarner

The M35 I picked up last week came from Air National Guard with two auto type gel batteries.

These two batteries from 1997, and crank the engine beautifully and hold a charge well.

Are others having this kind of extended service life from gel batteries?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One feature of the gel cells is that the self discharge rate is lower, so if the batteries are charged reasonably often they won't sulfate, which sets in when the voltage drops. Also, if kept cool, batteries will last longer.

1956_4x4

I used to have problems with lead/acid batteries shorting out in the front-end loaders when I was in the service. These loaders would spend 5 days per week doing their bit during rapid runway repair. This repair was being done as different CE units were evaluated on their war-time capabilities, so the loaders were shown no mercy by the operators. I'd be lucky if I could keep batteries in the loaders for 3 weeks. I started switching the batteries to red-top Optimas and the battery problems disappeared.

They're good enough that I put one in my '56 5 years ago. No problems yet...

Smitty

EO2NMCB

Well its good to hear that you all are having good luck with them, I didn't fair as well with a set of 4 decka's in a road tractor, only lasted about a year or so. Went back to the lead acid and all is well.

area52

I bought my 88 Jeep Comanche back in 2003 and the previous owner had put a red top Optima in. Not sure how old it was when I got it, but it has fired my 4.6 stroker up without fail for more than 5 years now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks