• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV Engine

jpinst

I am considering buying a new 6.5 tdl engine for my HMMWV. I found a source with one available.

Apparently its the new engines that are going in the new HMMWV's and is not a GM engine. In fact, I am hearing that its most likely a CATERPILLAR Engine with serpentine belts.

Does anybody have any information on this. Its apparently bolt on, and comes with the new transmission with park. Would this be a mistake to put in?

Actually I really enjoy the CAT engine in my M35A3, reliable and powerful.

Thanks in advance

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of the 6.5 TDs but not the CAT. I have one of the 6.5s and it's mfd by AM General not GM. It does have the serpentine belt. FWIW, Moraine assy made the 6.5s until the year 2000. At that time right before they tooled down, they made 10,000 warrany engines and then pulled the plug. All mfg rights were dealt to AM General at that time and they tooled up for the Duramax.

ClarkeF

jpinst said:
I am considering buying a new 6.5 tdl engine for my HMMWV. I found a source with one available.

Apparently its the new engines that are going in the new HMMWV's and is not a GM engine. In fact, I am hearing that its most likely a CATERPILLAR Engine with serpentine belts.

Does anybody have any information on this. Its apparently bolt on, and comes with the new transmission with park. Would this be a mistake to put in?

Actually I really enjoy the CAT engine in my M35A3, reliable and powerful.

Thanks in advance
GM sold the 6.5 engine and plant to AM General. AM General runs and operations GEP _ General Engine Product who manufacture the 6.5 and 6.5TD engines for the military contracts. The GEP engines have an upgraded block, NA or TD power, and on the latest revision under consideration for the ECV2 HMMWV have a Caterpiller electronic engine management system that was first (and last) used in the 2004 Hummer. It's not a caterpiller engine, just their engine management.

If you have a line on these, I'd be interested in hearing from you - I'm looking for a 6.5TD (not electonic management) for my HMMWV upgrade.

Regards,

Clarke

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.5TD I have looks almost unused. I need to groundhop it and pressurize the cooling system to make sure it has no issues, then it will most likely get sold.

jpinst

so, if I understand you correctly, the newer HMMWV engine with the serpentine belt is made by AMG and not Caterpillar. IS this a reliable engine? IS it a good choice for a swap on my m998?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no expert on the HMMWV but for a bolt it, correct swap, it's the best route you can take or so I believe.

superburban

The 6.5 TD is a perfect fit for your 998. Check out TedG's post about building an A2 HMMWV. He had to do some trimming to the tub, but nothing radical.

ClarkeF

jpinst said:
so, if I understand you correctly, the newer HMMWV engine with the serpentine belt is made by AMG and not Caterpillar. IS this a reliable engine? IS it a good choice for a swap on my m998?
Correct.

AMG owns GEP - General Engine Products.

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/gep/

There were some issues with the GM design, and the center mount turbo on the Hummer around heat and the number 8 cylinder. That's been pretty much sorted with an update to the block casting in 2000. They make reliable 6.5 and 6.5TD's (mechanically injected) for the military - and that's what if your HMMWV was going to get a depot level rebuild would get. 6.5TD for the up-armored and 6.5NA for the regular trucks.

AMG has worked with Caterpillar on an electronically controlled engine for the latest revision they are trying to sell: the ECV2. It was used on the Hummer for one year only - 2004. In 2006 they went Dmax - and then GM killed the H1.

Cheers,

Clarke

ClarkeF

85-m1028 said:
read this new p400 is out and can be ordered
http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/AMGsnew65.htm
I have yet to see one of these - that "release" is over a year old. I wonder if they are using them in the ECV2 with the Caterpiller electronics to add some icing to the ECV2 cake?

To build them for HMMWV's, they would need the military to sign off on the change in design. Sounds like some nice reliability and other enhancements. The current HMMWV specs, including the later M1151 doesn't cite these power figured, so probably hasn't been approved yet.

Regards,

Clarke

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks