• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit 353 headgasket HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

jfnemt1ff1

Ok yesterday I started to take off the Goat, and very thing was not to bad to work on. Now I have a few questions I get find my books still in boxex some where. The rocker arms looks like just unboat hem and then remove the pushrods. Or is there more to it. Also a rod that through the head into the injector pump how does that come out of the pump. Then after things are going back together will I have to adjust rocker arms or the pump.
Thanks John :?

poppop

I can't be of much help but will share what I know. That push rod out of the pump actually is the pump drive. When that rod goes up it pumps fuel to that cylinder. They have to be set exactly right or bad things happen. I have heard of crank ups that ran away and blew the engine. Detroits are the only engine I am afraid to work on. The fuel adjustment is on the rocker that drives the fuel pump for each cylinder. I don't know very much about them but get lots of advice before you work on it. I had a 471 that needed to be rebuilt and I just kept putting it off because I was scared of it. My last decision was to rebuild it and then pay a Detriot mechanic to come and set it up. Sold the machine instead and the new owners put a running engine in it.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These engines are really not that hard to work on if one takes the time to read the manual and understand them. I highly suggest you get the appropriate repair manual and read it. Run-aways do not become damaging if you have someone ready with a board or piece of sheet metal to put over the intake to shut it down. Run aways with this or any motor are usually the result of a misunderstanding on the part of the assembler, again read and follow the manual.
Thew rocker arms on our 6v-53 stayed on the head because they are pinned to the lifter assembly, which is secured to the head. The rod out of the head you are referring to goes to the throttle control governor, not the fuel pump. The fuel pump is a small gear pump on the end of one of the cams on our Detroit V series engines. Each injector is fed a supply of fuel by this pump at low pressure, then the injector is pushed down by the rocker arm, acting as its own high pressure pump to inject the fuel into the cylinder.
These are excellent engines, but very misunderstood. Knowledge from experience or gained by careful reading of manuals is the mark of a good mechanic!
Regards Marti

jfnemt1ff1

Thanks for the info so far.; M543a2 It looks like the rockerms are bolted to the head with two bolts per cyl. We are talking about an 353 right.
Thanks John

jfnemt1ff1

Ok moving along I have solved my problems with the force with me I found out that they are diffrent but not bad to work on. All that remains are the head bolts. The adjument of the rocker arms Is the only thing that I might have a little problem I have looked around and have been unable to find any place that shows the right way to adjust them ?

Gamagoat1

TM9 2815-214-34

Here is TM9-2815-214-34 John.
This will tell you all you need to know about the 353.
Hopefully this works.
It's too big John, PM Sent.

jfnemt1ff1

RE: TM9 2815-214-34

Thanks Mike I had all the manuals on my other laptop and that crashed. I knew that someone would know were to go. Thanks alot so far its going good I should have the head off tuesday.
Thanks John

jfnemt1ff1

Ok so after a while I got to work on the goat this week. Got It all back together and today I took it out on its first drive about 80 miles and no problems. I forgot how mush fun it is to drive the goat and how loud could not find my hearing blocks.:-D
John

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work! The Goat is a fun ride!:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks