• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help identifying this Gen set and light trailer

Boatcarpenter

Need help figuring out if this set is AC or DC.
ONAN, MDL: TP-5A4-DC, SN UNKN, 6. 0 FLOODLIGHT GENERATOR SET, TRAILER MOUNTED, DIESEL ENGINE DRIVEN
Not sure if the DC in Mdl. # indicates DC current or is just a coincidence.
Thanks,
BC

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those # don't make sense. I know it's a GL thing, but if there is a pic of the tag on the engine, I can help you out. PM it to me if you like. The nomenclature posted comes up as an old Tecumseh single cykindre generator.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I know this is an old thread, but I've found one of these that is missing parts. Does anyone have an injection pump or any parts for one laying around? Also does anyone know the rated output of the genset?

Isaac-1

This is one of those cases where a photo or two is worth a lot, as that is not a standard Onan model number, not even the right format for one.

Ike

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's not the onan number, that's the military model number. The one I'm looking at has the same number on it. I did find a onan tag on a websearch that came up with:

6.0DJE-3CE/25381AE

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Any idea how hard parts might be to find for them? In specific, how much a IP would cost?

Isaac-1

You have an Onan 6 KW DJE 2 cylinder diesel generator, it is 120/240V single phase with the contractor start option (basic controller, minimal gauges, no remote start), it is spec code AE making it a very late production unit (the J series had a 30 year production run) probably built in the late 1980s or early 1990's. Parts are mostly still availabe, although some can be pricey, more so if you try to order through Onan dealer. This one is has a YD series generator end with electronic voltage regulator, you probably want to download the service manual 900-0184 available as a pdf from various places online, also you may want to check out the Onan generator section over on the smokstak board, lots of good info and experts there.

Ike

p.s. I think this one has a series 50 Ambac injection pump, price varies, but I have seen them offered on ebay as old stock rebuilds for as little as $300 or so.

Isaac-1

On one other note, the engine is nearly identical to the engine on a MEP-002 (militarized version of the DJE, DJEM same bore and stroke, etc, only difference in the injection pump may be a 24V solenoid, I don't know if these pumps have internal or external solenoids, either way it would probably be an easy swap.) This may make your pump search a little easier, but be aware a lot of MEP-002 owners are searching for them too.

Ike

the parts manual for your unit is 967-0225 that one may take some searching to find.

Last edited:

ichudov

On one other note, the engine is nearly identical to the engine on a MEP-002 (militarized version of the DJE, DJEM same bore and stroke, etc, only difference in the injection pump may be a 24V solenoid, I don't know if these pumps have internal or external solenoids, either way it would probably be an easy swap.) This may make your pump search a little easier, but be aware a lot of MEP-002 owners are searching for them too.
Ike

Nice to see the friendly, familiar smokstak crowd,

My Onan DJE had an external solenoid. It was bad. I replaced it with some unrelated solenoid and made a simple adapter. Worked great every time.

i

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks