• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Washingtonian Member :)

Loco_Hosa

(I have summed it all up into three questions at the end of the page, that way you dont have to read the whole thing, if you dont want to)

Hi all, Im new here, and I pray to God I wont violate any rules in this post, but I dont think so.

To sum it up, I am considering buying a 3/4 Ton (M1028?) for a daily driver, and to deliver Domino's pizza.... So, now I have some questions.

Usually, I would just do some searches and find out what I want to know, but I think my situation is just a little bit unique (No one else wants to deliver pizza with something like this), and I have never bought any vehicles on-line sight un-seen, so I am also kinda concerned....

I have been driving pizza around with my 1991 Camaro (305 5-speed), getting about 20mpg, and its all fine and good, until I end up on a gravel road or bad driveway, and HIGH CENTER MY CAR! As you can imagine, the first time I was pissed off, the second time I was ready to CRY! I make about $350 a week doing my job, and for an 18 year old, that isnt half bad at all, so I decided it was time for something with some ground clearance.

I have always loved big 4wd trucks, so when someone suggested a diesel Army Surplus truck, I decided to look into it. So far, I am really liking what I am seeing, but I have just a couple concerns/questions, which I will finally get to now that I am done with this long post.

-Would one of these trucks be able to make the trip from Cali to Washington, without any attention first? Towing it really isn't an option, so I would take a train down and then drive it back, but I am concerned that it might break down, so I would be screwed and stranded.

-What kind of fuel economy do these trucks get?

-Is there any good reasons that this is a terrible idea?

(And yes, I know the 6.2 is a slow engine, I really dont care... as long as the fuel economy is there...)

wsucougarx

It all depends. If it's your first auction, you will need to submit your first EUC (End Use Contract). First timers can take 10 days to eternity. LOL, mine only took 20 days. Once your EUC is approved by the Federal Gov't then you will get a PAID IN FULL invoice authorizing you to pick up your vehicle. There are many other details involved, this was just a summary

wsucougarx

No, basically you need to win the vehicle first. Then you submit the EUC, scanned copy of your drivers license, Export letter to Gov't Liquidation. They review it for corrections. If its good then they send it to the Federal Govt. Basically the EUC is a document of you and where you live. The govt will do a check on you to make sure that they are releasing gov't property to a legit person (US Citizen etc). Once done its done

Loco_Hosa

Well, the only other important question is do you think it can make the trip?

I have no idea how these cars are maintained by the US army....

wsucougarx

You mean does the vehicle run and drive? Maybe and maybe not. That's the chance you are taking by buying on this auction. You may inspect your truck before you bid and then come back to pick it up and notice someone took your batteries and battery cable. Unfortunately, that's what you have to expect these days. So, it's a gamble but oh so worth it :lol:

Loco_Hosa

It says

CHEVROLET 3/ 4 TON, 4X4 M1028 CARGO TRUCK, VIN# 1GCDH34J8FF376284, 29821 MILES
Even if it said that it runs and drives, I have bought used cars that "Ran" but i still dont think I would try to drive hundreds of miles in them....

Edit: The idea of going all the way down there to inspect it, I might spend more money than I risk loosing.... I just worry I am going to make a huge mistake... :(

wsucougarx

Yah, I see that truck. It's quite a drive. If you're up for an adventure do it. Guys in here have recovered M35A2's some 1,000 miles. It's all about OD Fever, once you get started it's hard to stop:) I've been in it for 2 months now. I have a deuce and two trailers and am waiting to get a deuce or two more:)

Loco_Hosa

Lol, there is that word adventure again....

My grandfather said the same thing....

So, I would end up spending $300 to inspect it... Then another $150 to come BACK down, and then ANOTHER $200 in gas to get it back....

Or just bid, pray it is ok, and then spend $150 to get to it, spend another $200 in gas to get it home, assuming it moves.....

I dont suppose I could find a forum member that is the in the area who can inspect it? If its something minor, like the battery cable you mentioned, then I can go to shuckz and get a new one, and I will be carrying tools for stupidly simple stuff. But what if something mojor goes wrong?

If I bid and paid for it, then got down there, and it didn't run, what would my options be?

Loco_Hosa

wsucougarx said:
Well, you can always wait for FT Lewis to have a something or buy privately
I have considered this, and maybe the blazer I REALLY want would even be available, but I am worried if I pass up on these cali trucks, then maybe nothing else will pop up locally for a long time....

wsucougarx

Heres the blazer you're talking about. Its only 2 1/2 hours from you. Spend a little more now or spend it for fuel to drive the 1200 miles and possible expenses for a breakdown. BOOM here's your chance

Loco_Hosa

$5000 is way over my price range.... the blazers that sold today, some of them had only one or two bids, so they went for under $500, which is why I like this idea so much.....

Spending $5,000 does defeat the purpose....

Thanks for all your advise and help though, I need to find someone who is from cali and wouldn't mind looking at one for these for me....

Loco_Hosa

Alright, I am going to take the risk, I will just train my ass down, buy it sight un-seen, and if it brakes down, I will spend more money to have my grand-father come bail me out with a U-haul tow dolly, and a 1 Ton chevy that gets about 7 mpg......

Hell, I just need to buy TWO, and rent a U-haul trailer, then tow one, drive the other, if one breaks, I switch ;)

Lol, would be nice, wouldnt it?

wsucougarx

LOL your chances would be greater you'd get home if you buy two runners:) Good luck to you. Hey then you can sell one when you get back and have it pay for your truck and the expenses. Then repeat the process

Loco_Hosa

Alright, two more question before I go to bed for the night.

What do they usually go for at the end of the auction?

When it says no keys, does that mean you dont have a key to start it, or it doesnt NEED a key?

I can already picture myself driving one of these things back, while towing another.... would get me a lot of looks while driving... :)

wsucougarx

From what I remember there is like one universal key. Some of the guys who own these can answer this better than I can. I really can't tell you what they go for. But just keep in mind that GL has a 15 minute rule. If an auction is suppose to end at 3:00 and some bids right at 2:59. The auction will then end at 3:14 and so on until everyone stops bidding. So when you bid just don't walk away thinking you've won.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks