• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 recovery

We picked this up from a barn today. It has been a project that a guy started 25 years ago and just lost interest due to age. We trailered her to the gunshed. This is the bulk of the origional vehicle. We still have to pick up 3 skids of NOS parts purchased for it that are in a different location. Cost was the issue of a tax receipt to the owner. I think it;s a 53/54 era CDN and has the winch and tailgate. Also have a roll bar and 2 old studebaker pickup truck tailgates that came with it.

Smith out

Attachments

ocwd

M38

Smith,

Looks like a 51 or 52 M38 flat fender. I am pretty sure that they only made the M38 for two years. Although, I don't know much about Canadian Jeeps. Check on the front edge of the wheel well behind the passenger seat for a data plate. The MC serial number will tell you if it is a 1951 or 1952. That is, if the plate is still there. Check on the flat area behind the water pump. There should be an MC serial number stamped ther too. That will help determine if the engine is late M38 or early. If the winch is a Ramsey model 50 or 50R than it is worth quite a bit of money. I've seen them sell on Ebay for $5,000. If it's not a model 50 than it's still cool. Selling the winch and winch accessories could help pay for most of your restoration. Personally, i'd keep it. Also, if the winch is original to the Jeep than there should be a winch data plate on the dash some where. The back seat is also a plus. Usually those are missing and go for about $200. That's a cool Jeep man.

Dave

m38 recovery

Started to clean her up last night. It is a 52 with a Ramsey winch. Some parts are still stickered from a dealer. Under the green paint is grey and under that is a red primer. This is in really good shape. It will be a long time job and it is not high priority as more vehicles to pick up. Says Willeys on the engine head. Very little rust. Just surface stuff. Waiting for the 3 NOS parts skids previous owner has at home. Hope to get them next week. Will post pics as work progresses. This vehicle is titled.

Smith out

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: m38 recovery

Good save! Once you own a flat-fender jeep, you'll never be able to live without one. They are fun to drive, very useful around the farm, and you'll be the envy of all your buddies. Make sure it gets restored well, and MORE PICS as the jeep gets put back together!

M38 update. We picked up the parts for this baby from the previous owner. As evidenced by the pics I think we should moved it to a senior citizens residence as I hear they are good at doing puzzles
Smith out

Attachments

OKCM38CDN

If that is a M-38 CDN (Canadian) there will be a CAR number stamped into the frame on the drivers side top rail between the bumper and the radiator like this 52-3XXXX... It may be under the winch mount...

The M-38 CDN was built from Feb 52 to Nov 52 and only 2145 were built... there will be only dash plates and they may say Ford on them, as Willys sold the jeeps unassembled to the Canadians and the Ford Windsor Ontario plant assembled them...

The canadians made minor changes after the vehicles were built, mainly added tie down points for rail travel and a convoy light under the jeep to light up the rear differential that was marked with a letter...

Nice find...

Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks