• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

blown air line

CGarbee

I thought I would post here instead of the five ton section since I think that this might affect some other sized trucks as well...

The other day, I lost the air line in my XM813 that connects the firewall manifold to the air pressure guage... The speed at which I went from 120psi to 0psi was impressive.

I was sitting in a parking lot right after having disconnected from a tow (M211) and was able to cap the manifold outlet and drive the truck home (without an operational air pressure guage) without incident, but the thought of loosing that line while driving with another truck hooked up on the towbar has got me checking/replacing the line on my other trucks as well.

Specifically, the line split right at the juncture of the crimped on metal end and the rubber line. The rubber line then blew off the end, leaving it threaded into the manifold (that supplies air to the low pressure warning buzzer, wiper motor switch, and accessory valve, etc.) causing an uncontrolled release of air under the dash.

The item used to cap the outlet where the line connected to the air supply was an air line quick connect (Milton, used to connect an air tool hose) as I did not have a pipe plug of the correct size in the toolbox...

The line looked to be pretty old, the truck is a 1971...

CGarbee

I was going to put a line in about my posting photos tonight when I get a chance to actually take some... but I figured that I'd got that avatar posting in response anyway. :)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post some pics eventually, so we can see that, and know where to check next time under the dash.

On the subject, if the copper? air line from the compressor has a small hole, it could be cut and a piece of hose put on it. Any special kind, other than it should be oil resistant and has to stand 120PSI or better? I plan to flare the ends slightly and then use hose clamps so the hose can't slip off.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lost the same line in my deuce one night. It is quite impressive how quickly you lose pressure (not to mention the noise). I ended up having to use a small piece of wood that blocked **most** of the air coming out, so I had some pressure....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks