• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Braden J2 winch install

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started it tonight...

I got the radiator out, got the "upside down" bellcrank on, and the pulley off.

More pics as the project progresses...

Attachments

DanMartin

Very very cool. Agreed on the vertical capstan comment above...unique indeed. Looks like a winch you'd find on a sail boat.

How does the engage mechanism work? Is it a splined shaft of some kind? I see the grease fitting...so something must move to engage the winch drive shaft.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fan pulley has holes that have corresponding prongs on the clutch plate. The clutch plate slides on the splined shaft that is part of the driveshaft so it can be engaged/disengaged. Hope that makes sense.

I found a good picture over at www.capstanwinch.com for how it works. Lots of more tech info there...

FYI, many of the parts sold at that site ARENT for the Braden winch. They are for the later model Link Belt capstan winch. (The site tells you exactly which parts will and wont work on the Braden).

The clutch assy, fan pulley, the 3 spacers, and the bump stop spacers are correct for use with the Braden winch, the rest of the parts are for the Link Belt winch and dont work on the Braden. Took me a few days of research to figure that out. Maybe that info will save someone some time...

Also, David Doyles Capstan Winch article in MV mag issue #100 was very helpful to this whole process.

Hopefully this weekend it will be all done.. Not bad to have a working winch on a MV, especially one all original.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the 100 foot of 3/4 inch rope for it. I have tested it, and used for seeing what I can go. I have yet to use it for "real", nor do I really want to, but it's nice knowing it's there.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you have to start/stop the motor for operation? Or do you engage it with the motor running?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would imagine that you can engage it while the engine is running, and there is a clutch in it. If it required the engine stop before engaging, I would think the winch would be very erratic and under lots of stress upon startup. The starter is under enough stress while it's trying to turn over the engine, I can only imagine the stress it would be under if it had to try and pull a stuck jeep out of it's hole as well.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should add: GREAT JOB, MARK!

However, something should be said for the fact that 99.99999% of the jeeps out there were sold new without a winch - if you get a jeep stuck, you probably shouldn't be offroading where you are.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You engage and disengage the winch with the engine running. You just engage the clutch, and the pins in the clutch fit into holes on the pulley.

I havent tried to start it up that way, nor will I.

I'm installing a J2 in a GPW, What length and hex size are the 3 spacers for the drive bracket assembly (part # WO-A-9194) [in your photo # 6]. I believe they are 3/8 unf thread. I am in Australia and am having to make some of the parts.
Cheers
Dick Whitaker

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks