• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v to 12v converters

sgtrisk

What are you folks using for this task? There are plenty of choices out there, and I realize that much of the choice depends on what I'll be running. I'm thinking I'll probably go with something that can provide 20-30 Amps continuous. (Better to have too much than too little!)

Basically, I was hoping to get a pseudo-"Consumer Report" from those who are using converters, so that I can choose wisely. What brands and/or models to use or stay away from, etc.

Thanks!

HeadWizard

I've got a pretty big pile of the Newmar model 32-12-35, 35 amp ones available. Brand new in the box. Have sold quite a few to SS members in the past. The prices have varied based on what I had to pay. I've had one in one of my deuces with zero issues.

PM if you are interested.

Attachments

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wilmore is a US company that makes professional grade 24 to 12 converters, often found in fire apparatus and municipal vehicles. I use one in my U-1300 Unimog and have been very happy with it. One company I would not recommend is Samlex (Chinese). The 8 amp model I use in the Unimog 404 radio truck has self destructed twice, the last time requiring replacement of every major transistor. Their higher current models could be more robust.

So how do these work, can they be used to charge a bank of 12V batteries when driving. I use 2 6V golf cart batt in series (to make 12V)for my Duece camper. I want something I can use to charge that system when in transit.

Is this a viable solution?

HeadWizard

yellobronc said:
So how do these work, can they be used to charge a bank of 12V batteries when driving. I use 2 6V golf cart batt in series (to make 12V)for my Duece camper. I want something I can use to charge that system when in transit.

Is this a viable solution?
No, these convert 18-50 volts DC into a constant 12 volts DC output so you can use 12v accessories in your deuce, 5 ton, etc.

DanMartin

Yello,

Maybe look into a dual-voltage alternator? Or...look into running a second alternator on the truck (12V) using some custom bracketry and then use that circuit to charge the batteries.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a charger convertor in my deuce that produces 2Kw of 120VAC and is a three stage charger when plugged into 120V AC it is a big marine unit that is mounted under the passenger seat.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To all that have posted haere, I wish Don would post the link for his converters as THEY DO CHARGE BATTERYS! Come on man, read your instructions. It only takes a second. It is in the manual and on their site. Yes they will charge a 12v battery! I love the unit Don is selling.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks