• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help guys, exhaust smells funny????????????

EZFEED

Hey guys, I have a question about exhaust odors. I dont know if this would be relevant with a timing problem but my exhaust is smelling quite pungent.

This is on my Czech truck but I would figure that the odor of the exhaust would be similar to any other inline 6-cylinder compression diesel. Not too long ago I rebuilt the injector pump and slapped it back on as cose to the original position it was in. For some reason the timing marks are missing on the front of the engine so I really have no idea where 14 degrees before TDC is. It runs, drives, and idles fine, I just havent noticed this smell before and taken that I just did this I can only deduce this is the fault.

I cranked it up in my shop and noticed a little blue smoke (just a fine consistent light haze) accompanied by this acrid smell. Its so bad that it makes your eyes tear up and you gag.

Is this normal for you guys too or do I need to make some adjustments? Am I getting too much fuel or do I need to turn it back and thin the injection setting?

gun512

Sounds like you are getting to much fuel. Seems as timing is fine if everything is responsive and idles well. But with a haze sounds like it is dumping alot of fuel. If you lug it down in a gear do you get alot more smoke than you used to?

EZFEED

Gun512, Yep sure does!! You may have figured this out for me....When I accelerate the smoke does trickle out a little more than usual, not by much but enough to notice in the rear view mirror.

Bjorn, now there is something that I forgot to mention. I did pour in a half bottle of Dielsel Kleen in the tank and that mix was pretty strong. I didn't mention it because I didn't think it was a big deal, could that be the cause of the extra smoke and smell? I really didn't think it was an issue because I have run it in the past as strong as this and never had something like this happen??? :?

Westech

CPL
when I add Diesel 911 to my GMC it has a really sweet smell. Almost like burning sugar, the guys at the dealership were like what the heck is that smell. It very well could be the cleaner.

EZFEED

When this thing runs it used to smell kind of sweet too. I hope its just the cleaner like you say, it says its supposed to add a little more octane to the mix too but I just wouldn't think it would account for the smoke?

Alex400

EZFEED said:
Gun512, Yep sure does!! You may have figured this out for me....When I accelerate the smoke does trickle out a little more than usual, not by much but enough to notice in the rear view mirror.

Bjorn, now there is something that I forgot to mention. I did pour in a half bottle of Dielsel Kleen in the tank and that mix was pretty strong. I didn't mention it because I didn't think it was a big deal, could that be the cause of the extra smoke and smell? I really didn't think it was an issue because I have run it in the past as strong as this and never had something like this happen??? :?
I think it is possible that the additive could change the smell a bit. I did notice a slight difference when I had a fuel additive in my 4runner, not like you describing, but it did smell a little different.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i always thought lite blue smoke was oil, like from a turbo , bad rings ect,, lite white smoke was unburned fuel ,like from a cold motor,dead turbo, ect., black smoke was to much fuel, like with the pedal down but have not reached full rpm where the fuel will be used at it max, or the motor under load like pulling a hill, ect

gun512

As for more smoke of course any adjustment to fuel delivery could change the amount of smoke. If you had guages and your EGT's were higher than that would definetly tell you if you were pushing too much fuel.

Alex400

73m819 said:
i always thought lite blue smoke was oil, like from a turbo , bad rings ect,, lite white smoke was unburned fuel ,like from a cold motor,dead turbo, ect., black smoke was to much fuel, like with the pedal down but have not reached full rpm where the fuel will be used at it max, or the motor under load like pulling a hill, ect
Could be oil, also could be that additive. but since he said the truck didn't smoke like this before he rebuilt the injector pump, it leads us to believe that it may be fuel related.

Jones

Run a tankful of straight fresh diesel in it. Atfter a week or so, sniff the exhaust pipe after you've shut it down. Oil will smell like oil-- diesel, if going bad, will have a strong not-quite-diesel smell. If it smells sweet, start looking for coolant loss as it may be anti-freeze.

EZFEED

Well as far as the coolant smell that wouldn't be possible since its aircooled.

I'm going to take all of the advice y'all have given and go try it now. I will take a video and report back ASAP!

EZFEED

EZFEED

HAHAHAAAA!

Fiddled with the IP setting today, didn't make any noticible difference at startup or after getting hot. Guess it is just the Diesel-Kleen doing this???????

I have used this stuff before on another truck and it did not smoke on me? Why would it do it this time all of a sudden??????

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks