• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-powering a V100.. 5.9 cummins?

trades2much

I am starting a new job on nov 3rd and my first project is to restore/re-power a V100. it had a cummins v-8 and allison, I want to be one step ahead of the game and know all there is to know about this machine before i touch it. Has anyone heard of a 5.9 6bt installed in one?? I have seen posts saying some had a 6bt V-6 diesel or a 6CTA which both the 6bt and the 6CTA are both inlines. I will also need sources for parts, this is getting built for the local sheriff office. If length wise the b series cummins will fit, then I am thinking a 5.9 commonrail 325hp cummins and a 1000 series allison from a duramax. Any suggestions??

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might give up a bit of road speed, but there is room for the B easily.

trades2much

Thank's for the replies, Dave, I will be getting ahold of you. Will, why would it be giving up ground speed? the B series cummins can be made easily more powerfull than any engine I have ever seen put it one, short of a C series..

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RPM is much lower with the B. It's yours though, you can do with it what you like.

trades2much

Oops!!!

?Well I found out today that my project is a V150 not a V100!! What are the differences? Looks like I will have room to put the b-series cummins in, I won't be used amphibious anymore so I can move the rad back some more and get rid of the mufflers. any forums/info on the V150's?

davidkroberts

RE: Oops!!!

not sure on the fitting but our mech's installed a 4bt in a Mamba with no problems and a 5.9 backed by a Allison in a Saxon which is a very heavily armored vehicle probably more in line with the V150 series. The 5.9 is preforming admirably and will burn the tires off the back when pushed. If you have the room go with a 5.9

Elwenil

Re: Oops!!!

trades2much said:
?Well I found out today that my project is a V150 not a V100!! What are the differences? Looks like I will have room to put the b-series cummins in, I won't be used amphibious anymore so I can move the rad back some more and get rid of the mufflers. any forums/info on the V150's?
The LAV-150 is virtually the same as the LAV-100 except for the Cummins V-504 V8 Diesel engine. The LAV-100 and the larger LAV-200, built for export to Singapore, was replaced by the LAV-150 in 1971. The LAV-150 was later upgraded to the LAV-150S in 1985.

B3.3T

V-100 and V-150 are not the same in any way other than basic shape. V-150 has LARGER/HEAVIER hull, Diesel/Allison, and M800 series axles.

Elwenil

I was of the thinking that the LAV-150 had the same basic hull with minor improvements over the LAV-150 and the LAV-150S was the one with the heavier hull and a longer wheelbase. Then there is the ASV-150 which has independent suspension and a completely redesigned hull. This is all based off of Jane's guides. There may be a few holes on the info as the upgrade to 5 ton axles is not mentioned, but is clearly pictured and frequent rear axle failures in the original LAV-100 is mentioned.

B3.3T

From the beginning, the V-150 series had a "deeper" hull giving occupants more head room. It also is of heavier construction and armor.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The V100 and V150 do LOOK very similar (almost identical) externally until you start looking at details. I got to 'play' with a police V150 this morning and even being familiar with the V100, I would not have been able to tell without measuring that there was any difference in the basic hull. When the 5-ton axles were fitted, the hull had to be changed some to accommodate them, along with the general beefing up. You do notice the 10-lug wheels of the 5-ton right away, then you notice things like the radio operators hatch (right rear) is round rather than square. This particular vehicle also has a central round hatch in the roof rather than a turret. It has the V100 style fold open drivers hatches, not the late V150 hatch that pivots on the outer rear corner.

Inside the basics look familiar, but the passenger seats and the transfer case cover were quite different from the V100, along with other details. That and there was an air conditioner!

The data plate is covered with some gear, so I don't know the construction year and the guy I was talking to didn't know.

At this point I know I have earned the "this thread is worthless..." icon, but I didn't have a camera with me! :oops:

Last edited:

trades2much

The 5.9 is installed and performing AWESOME!!! was a lot of work but WELL worth it! I have pics posted in an earlier thread " V-150 Pics" . By the way, keep your eye's open for a V-100 with a 5.9 from Gerald at OSMW. Should be nothing short of awesome!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks