• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M815 5 Ton Dump truck

DaveP49

I have bid on a few of these vehicles, but,so far, have failed to win the bid. I hope to use one of these on my farm in GA.
1. Could anyone tell me about any issues they have discovered in getting a military truck licensed for the open road so that I can pick up aggregate or lime or other stuff?
2. Much of the time the information in the description does not state whether or not the vehicle is operational. Shipping these is pretty cost prohibitive. I had hope to be able to fly to whereever I ultimately purchase one and drive it back to my farm. Alternatively, I was thinking about trying to tow one of these behind my F350 with a towbar. Any pointers on how to get it home once I win a bid?
This is my first time in a chat room? If I am doing this wrong please correct me.

Dave P

Shizzlemah

If you buy from GL, there is no guarantee the trucks will be road-ready. If they are said to "run" it means the engine will run. May not start on it's own, may not have brakes, may lose fluid etc.... Plan on a thorough inspection before hitting the road, and plan on travelling with a pretty thorough tool kit.

In my opinion, towing a 5ton with a F350 and towbar at anything over 5MPH is a recipie for disaster. Plan on either getting a knowledgable group of guys to help with recovery (preferably with a deuce or 5T), or plan on having it shipped to you, or bid higher on the local auctions so you can make a couple of trips, etc.

As to licensing, I had trouble with my local town as they demanded a commercial reg ($700/yr) but I wanted antique... 3 years later, I won. Took a couple of years to get a good title, the DMV had to send and inspector down and verify the frame number. No big deal, just not quick. If you are going for farm use, you may have some other restrictions or benefits in your home county.

Good luck and welcome aboard!!

poppop

A farmer in Ga can drive any vehicle without a CDL for his own use, not for hire, 150 miles from his home base. If you cross state lines then that states rules apply. I have farm bureau insurance and have never had any problem adding a truck and have three five tons, a duece and a jeep insured with them. Each DMV is different depending on the people there and their attitudes. If they don't know they will give you a line and send you after something else. In Ga. a title is not required for older vehicles and most MV's fit that. You should be able to get a tag with a bill of sale, an insurance card showing that vehicle is insured, and a form T-22-B. That is a vin certification filled out by any police officer. They probably will ask you what weight tag you want. Best answer is, well, its like a two ton farm truck, this should relieve you of any further questions. Don't tow it with any one ton truck. The truck may pull it but there is no way you can stop it or control it when some idiot cuts you off. It will push you where it wants to go and kill you or someone else.

DaveP49

Mr Strickland, thank you for the excellent information. I assume that a form T-22-B is available from DMV?

All others, thanks for trying to help. I have not yet seen any functional M817s offered for sale at any local bases. Most are completely junked. I think residue is the GL term.

CGarbee

DaveP49 said:
Mr Strickland, thank you for the excellent information. I assume that a form T-22-B is available from DMV?

All others, thanks for trying to help. I have not yet seen any functional M817s offered for sale at any local bases. Most are completely junked. I think residue is the GL term.
FWIW: John Winslow in Halifax, NC has serveral very clean M817's with winches on his yard that are priced very reasonable IMHO.

poppop

Davep49, yes the t-22-b is available at the DMV. Or send me a PM with a fax number and I will send you a copy. I have a friend who will be selling an 800 series 5 ton dump sometime in the next year. He bought two, one for a pond project and a spare for backup. When the pond is finished he will sell one and keep one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks