• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a Turbo to Non-Turbo 465

KaiserJeep

Ok, I did search through here and did not see any thing specifically for adding a turbo to a non-turbo engine. I have a 67 M35 with the Continental 465 non-turbo. (On a side note right here in my hometown of Muskegon, Michigan). Anyway, my truck smokes like an oil well fire. If I stay off the throttle just cruzin' down the road its not too bad, but under a load or accelerating its crazy. I worry about damaging the engine with high EGTs and have not had a chance to put a pyro on it yet. I have a couple questions for any/all of you:
-Do the non turbo's get that hot on the EGTs?
-Is there any reason to NOT put a turbo on my truck? It does have the side discharge exhaust that runs the length of the truck and dumps between the duals in the back.
-Would I need to put a stack on it for the turbo?

I have not had a chance to time it, or get it timed, either, but I do have about 3000 or more pages of tech manuals on these trucks. I was lucky enough to work at General Dynamics Land Systems (owners of what was continental motors) for a summer internship and they let me make copies of EVERY manual I could find on the trucks.

Thanks for any input on this!!!

John

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should not have any problem with the EGT for the non-turbo engine.
I upgraded my engine with a turbo and there is an enormous improvement, especially when accelerating. Also no smoke to speak of.
You will need a new exhaust system (no muffler).
You will have to change the timing.
It's a good idea to install a pyro probe before mounting the turbo.
See article in MVM Dec 2002 issue for description of the procedure.

1968 M49A2C modified. 1972 HIAB 765A crane and 1960 M756 pipeline truck bed.
11.00-20 NDCC singles.
M103A3 trailer.

"Some things cannot be made better, just differently"

CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Vehicle wiring, clearance lights and adding relays for headlights and turn signals.
Adding small fuel tank (starting and shutting down in cold weather) and installing heating coil (aluminum?) in main tank for biodiesel/cooking oil.

KaiserJeep

Cool, thanks for the info!!

Will the EGTs climb now, with no turbo rolling coal smoke out the exhaust?

Where would I find this article... sorry, your dealing with another stupid nubee

Wyattearp

Kaiser, here there are no stupid questions to ask, Cranetruck has an article in the MV magazine Dec. issue '02 that goes step by step, if you don't have this issue i would suggest trying to find one or possibly someone can photocopy and mail it to you, if you want i could do that. just let me know.

mangus580

Wyatt, some of us have said article in PDF format.... hint hint....

unfortunatly, due to copyright regs.... we cant post them here (and cant mail photocopies as well ;-) )

Wyattearp

True but i wouldn't be selling it. Anyways Kaiser i have to do the same thing with my truck due to going from a non turbo engine to turbo engine, You will need all the piping from the turbo to the exhaust stack, and will need to make the hole in the fender a little larger due to the turbo pipe exhaust being larger. Make sure you get all the clamps if you can find a used setup from someone.
I was lucky and found a used setup from another member that was parting out a turbo engine truck, met and picked it up.

KaiserJeep

s\/\/eet!! Thanks for the help guys. If anyone could send said article to KaiserJeepM35@comcast.net I would much appriciate it. If not, if someone could point me in the right direction to get a copy of this in accordance with copyright laws I will follow through with that route.

Many thanks!!!

Kaiser

Wyattearp

Im not sure about where to get a copy of that issue at, someone here might chime in. If your not a subscriber to MV magazine you should its a great magazine for little bucks, the info inside is priceless if your a MV owner.

KaiserJeep

so from what I have gathered there is no need to put different pistons in? I know on many diesel and gas engines to put turbo or super chargers on you have to swap in lower compression pistons.

Wyattearp

on the multifuel engine and from what i have read in the MV magazine the reason for the swith to turbo engines was to reduce emissions. someone jump in here that knows a little more behind this, but i do know you do not have to change pistons, i believe the only thing you have to change is the exhaust manifold, a manifold that the turbo attaches to.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to change the exhaust manifold, James. It's possible that the flame heater components are mounted differently on some turbo equipped engines (on the exhaust manifold), but that doesn't effect the turbo install.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, in response to one of your questions, the only reason not to go to a turbo is noise. Turbo trucks are louder. I know TW Murray sells NOS clean air kits for around $375 which has everything needed for the exhaust switchover.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We put a turbo on my son's non-turbo truck, and it is a strong runner. We set the fuel up, too. We did not change the timing. there is no reason to do so, especially if it is set quicker on the non-turbo engines. Any diesel shop worth its performance tuning salt will tell you timing advancing increases power. We do it on every diesel we want to get more power out of with no problems. We have been running the truck this way for three years with no problem. We used it to tow a 5 ton 6x6 tractor home 110 miles and did not have to shift out of overdrive on any hills. We have seen warnings of how these engines will blow so easily, but when you see the same engine in the White farm tractors with advanced timing and fuel set up running hour after hour at high load you will become a believer in their toughness.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I posted my earlier response, I was at work, so I made it brief. To clarify a bit, I would never advocate setting the timing back. If the non-turbo models are quicker on timing, which I think they are, than the turbo from the factory models, then I would never set it back when I added a turbo to a non-turbo engine. Quicker timing means more power and easier starting. As I recall on my son's truck, the inlet elbow on the intake manifold (where the flame heater is, not on the exhaust side) was a bit different on angle. There have been posts on here that the turbo flame heater will not ignite because of the shape, etc. The one on my son's truck works quite reliably, and the one on my 5 ton wrecker has a different igniter plug in it that has a really long electrode on it. It lights every time! We are very well pleased with the conversion. Someone may already have turned up the fuel on your truck if it smokes as you say. The actual exhaust and intake manifolds do not need to be changed. Go for it, and enjoy a really responsive truck!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Robert, a measure of power would be the boost produced by the turbo all else being equal. My turbo is the non-whistler (-1D) and it is slightly larger than the -1C. The maximum boost I have seen on my gauge is 12 psi. Someone else will have to chime in with a boost figure for any other turbo.

Bjorn

PS. I have a whistler turbo, which is a take-off in apparently good condition. It turns smoothly, but may be a bit gummed up after years of sitting. Anybody interested for $125 plus shipping? My zip is 24120.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks