• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neat WMO filter setup.

powerhouseduece

Well I don’t want to say that this is the most efficient system but it really works! The pump is a 20 GPM gear pump with a 1.5 Horsepower pump. I thought that this is a very clean set up that we use to filter the oil in the air compressors we have at work. The filters are very large and filter 3 micron and 6 micron. Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

StreetbikeDepot

RE: WMO filter setup idea

Hmm...thats a nice setup, I am planning on setting up something similar with Amsoil full flow filters (I'm an Amsoil dealer). I want a centrifuge for a final clean but they aren't cheap.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Well, not to pick the system apart, just speaking from experiance here. I hope you only get VERY clean oil to filter. I use a spare deuce secondary and final filter(in one housing hung on the driver side of the motor) connected to a spin on Fleetguard FS1000 filter. On average I have gotten 100-200 gallons filtered before I need to start swapping them out. I got a batch of unknown fuel down at the Ga rally, and it had the filters clogged in about 25 gal. My setup starts out about 15micron and goes down to 5micron. I think if you were to get a couple larger micron filters in there it would be better. That stuff mounted on a cart might be a good starting point for my 3rd gen pump/filter setup.

powerhouseduece

Thanks for the advice guys but its not mine. The chemical plant that i work in bought it for the air compressors that we have(1300cfm) as of right now that filter has been running for 48 hr. I just wanted to post it so you all can maby get somt ideas off of it.

LanceRobson

Can you get the name of the outfit they got it from or the manufacturer? That might be a big help in reverse engineering it.

It looks like a very promising start point.

Thanks for the pics.

Lance

EDIT: Any idea what the operating pressure is?

powerhouseduece

Lance,

The filter system is made by Des-Case Corporation. The operating pressure is about 30-35 psi. The inlet tube is 1" and 3/4" outlet.

Gimpyrobb,
What is your $0.02 on bag filters?

gimpyrobb

I have not used them, but I don't have much indoor space. If used outside, I could see them getting clogged easy and rain getting it the mix. I keep all mine outside and sealed up when not working on filtering. If you had an indoor place to filter, I could see them working well. Hang the bag over a barrel and pour away!

powerhouseduece

Gimp, i was refering to a bag filter and housing like www.filterbag.com and Thats what I wanted to use insted of the normal filters. Also thats why I thought this was a neat idea that everything was mounted on a hand truck so you can take it anywhere there is 110 volts.

gimpyrobb

I never saw that before. I like using the deuce filters since I have some on hand anyway. I will have to look over that site.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: WMO filter setup idea

powerhouseduece said:
Gimp, i was refering to a bag filter and housing like www.filterbag.com and Thats what I wanted to use insted of the normal filters. Also thats why I thought this was a neat idea that everything was mounted on a hand truck so you can take it anywhere there is 110 volts.
the problem with a filter bag setup is that you have to let gravity do the work, you cant use pressure to force the oil through the filter. and IMHO i would want a 24v setup ;) not 110v.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: WMO filter setup idea

We use bag filters (5mu-20mu) all the time in a pressurized state.The normal rates are 20-30 GPM thru a 1" line. We meet and exceed FDA requirements for the removal of solids and contaminants in foods and pharmaceuticals. Now, it is imperative to monitor pressure drop across the filter. This determines the state of the filter. No pressure drop and you have a hole, no pressure (psi) on the discharge side, and you have no flow, AKA plugged filters. Redundant filters are critical. Now you must determine the quality of what you are filtering and filter accordingly. You cannot and would not use the above filter set up on slude-like WMO. It requires a pre-filtering thru 50-20 mu filters. The above set up is great for the final step. My2 cents...

powerhouseduece

Re: RE: Re: RE: WMO filter setup idea

CCATLETT1984 said:
¹Housing pressure 100PSI. Sustained differential pressure across internal restrainer basket should not exceed 30 PSI during normal operation.
Yea, I saw that. I just dont know the best way to go if everyone is telling me about the flaws.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: WMO filter setup idea

powerhouseduece said:
CCATLETT1984 said:
¹Housing pressure 100PSI. Sustained differential pressure across internal restrainer basket should not exceed 30 PSI during normal operation.
Yea, I saw that. I just dont know the best way to go if everyone is telling me about the flaws.
The big flaw is not filtering your WMO. Cost eliminates flaws but at some point you must be cost effective. I'll take a slow free system over a fast costly one everytime. Also, remember KISS. How much WMO can you burn in a week???
I love the gear pump for moving the more viscious liquids at a steady rate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks