• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sound/Heat insulation?

rmgill

What have people used for sound/heat insulation in their deuces and 5 tons? I'm trying to get my M813 a bit more quiet for when I start to use it more.

Any preference for panels vs spray on foams? Did the bedliner material help?

What about boots for around the shifters and levers?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rmgill, Desert rat and I are working on a insulation kit for these cabs. We are using my cab to make the patterns. We are using a foam rubber to go along the inside. I have the boots for the shifters on order. I'm going to use a spray on liner to keep the steel fron rusting if moisture gets into the insulation. I'm using a rubber floor mat with jute padding for the floor and firewall.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winterization kits had insulation panels and canvas shifter boots. The panel kits are scarce and the boots even scarcer. Many years ago I found a set of shift boots on Ebay and cost me over $50 but they are nice!

Armada

I've got 2 canvas tranny boots and 1 transfercase boot I may be getting rid of in the near future. I had no idea what they were going for.

rmgill

There must be some other boots that could be used from normal civilian applications? There certainly must be some nice butyl rubber boots that'd work just fine.

Boatcarpenter

Soundproofing etc.

I'm wondering if you are aware of or would be interested in knowing that material for what you are doing is available at good full service marine supply stores. It is rugged and made for the harsh salt water environment.

Attachments

rmgill

The thing about this insulation is how to apply it to the inside of the cab with out it looking like crap? Dynamat makes some kind of spray that would seem to be better than these pads for insulation. Thoughts?

yeager1

Roll on liners are way to thin for sound insulation, but the spray in liners work really well. I had a CJ-5 done and the difference was huge (and you can get them colored). As far as the sound barrior material goes, someone had 20 or so on ebay last week (I searched for "M35" under parts) that were NOS 3 layer olive drab firewall mats with all the holes already cut in them. You were bidding on just 1, but they started at $.99 with no reserve. Last I saw there were no bids, so they might be worth keeping an eye out for if they get relisted.

hummin2london

Your joking, right? I'm in the middle of a two thousand mile round trip journey from the UK to upper Bavaria and back. I'm using 1 Ipod and 1 pair of mickey mouse ears. I slapped a MIL sticker that says something to the effect of "the operator and passengers in this vehicle are required to wear ear protection due to high decible machinery noise" on the glove box in case some polizei or bobby gets a little too zealous about minor details. THe sound from the ipod is great and I can feel all the important vibrations just fine so I know everything is working okay. The temp outside at night is just about freezing and I'm as warm as a bug in a rug with normal jacket. Plenty of warm air coming up through the holes in the floorboards. I do need to put a board in front of the radiator to keep the engine temps up a bit but since the engine is running for about 10hours non stop, it stays toasty. At some point I'm going to make the intercom in my H1 hummer portable so I can keep the noise cancellation intercommunications and the ipod together. Using the ear defenders alone actually makes it easier for the passenger and driver to talk to each other because it cuts out the extranious nosies.

Cheers from over here,

rmgill

Well, I'm more or less thinking more critically about when summer in Georgia rolls round. Heck Summer in Virginia is bloody hot too in August.

M1075

Cole-

Glad to hear you are on your way and that everything worked out on the tires. I don't think I ever saw a pic of the super singles though. Can you post one when you get back home?

devilman96

This is an old post but I will toss in my 2 cents and give a little input from auto interior work...

Sound proofing or more correctly "shutting the damn pig up" is a lot less complicated than it sounds. Standard carpeting pile is what 99% of auto shops use its cheap and is sold at hardware stores everywhere, this is applied to the sheet metal with spray on contact cement and then the carpet or liner installed over it... Cutting, shaping, layering etc are as simple as a razor blade and a little time.

I would suggest undercoating and a few days of drying before doing anything. Undercoating is rough and textured which helps break up the sound waves, how its applied is up to you (roll or spray) just keep the thickness under 1/8 of an inch. To thick and it cracks and peels easily.

To test out the difference here is a quick and simple route... Go buy a piece of standard household carpet pile (about 20$ worth will do it) cut a few pieces and toss them into the floor of your vehicle and take a ride... You will notice a HUGE difference...

This is also a great way to hide wiring, A/C and heat ducts, etc... The wiring or rectangular ducting are laid out in the vehicle floor, a layer of pile is installed over them, the pile is trimmed to the routing and a second layer is installed over it. This helps float out and hide the humps and bumps.

To make it all removable carefully lay out the pile overlapping and gluing the edges of each piece to each other... Spray the final layer with contact cement and glue carpeting over it... Then you can pull the pile/carpet out in one piece to dry or do work to the inside.

Doors can be lined with the same materials, cabs, walls, etc can be lined the same or made as removable panels by using 3/16 ply (door skin material) or even insulation panel, cut to shape, covered in foam or pile, then carpet, vinyl, cloth, etc... It sounds to easy to be true but this is exactly how $10,000 custom interiors are done...

rmgill

I have some grey indoor and outdoor short pile carpet. Several rolls. I could easily lay this in the cag over the floor for some adhoc insulation and make the truck more comfortable for the long drive. I've thought about a layer or two of rhino liner too, but haven't taken the time to buy it and apply it. Hmmm...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My old deuce had no less than 4 sleep mats cut up in various shapes and bonded together with OD duct tape. Worked pretty decent but I kinda like the bare cab, reminds me of a deuce.

rmgill

I just installed 3 bits of carpet in the foot wells and over the transmission hump. In addition to the muffler, I suspect this will keep things very quiet.

hot rod deuce

Hey if any one is interested i just cashed in on a bunch of 1/2 inch think foam with perferated 383 green on top. It looks like band-aids. The same stuff Caterpillar uses and many other tractor and heavy equipment companys. it uses a space age foam that converts sound waves to heat that is very easily disapated and not noticable on the average thermometer. Also i have differnt thickness foam to get any thickness yoo want. Glue is a spray on pressure thing.

Crazy_Matt

I started rhino lining the door panel access covers yesturday at work ( so i was bored ) I should have some pics if anyones intrested in seeing them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks