• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb from GA - looking at cost of entry

markdl000

Ok, so I want into this hobby. I want a m1028 or similar (4x4, diesel or not) for offroad/camping/Katrina type excursions. I am new (very) to renovating cars and am trying to learn everything i can about this hobby before i jump in. I have a few questions.

Is there a good FAQ about these trucks? This site is overwhelming to me and I'd like a little guidance.
Would you recommend them to a newbie car guy?
Would it be better to buy a working one from a member, or roll the dice and buy a .gov one?
Whats a good place to start learning about this hobby (useful threads)
What should I expect to have to fix/replace if I decide to buy one from gov liquidators?
If I do a pickup of a car that says 'runs', should I still bring a trailer to haul it?
Can I get one and have it running for less than $3k?
I live in GA, so the nearest yard that liquidates them is in AL.

I'm familiar with how annoying getting 'the 10,000th' post asking a question is, but if you could point me to some threads that are useful I would really appreciate it. All the code lingo is confusing me! :)

Best,
Mark

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. The M1008 and M1028 are generally more expensive than the M1009's. If you buy from GL bring a trailer, there is no way of knowing if it will run when you get there. GL is a total crap shoot as far as the shape of the vehicle. I'd avoid buying one if you can't preview it, CUCVs are prone to rust and pictures of camo trucks tends to hide rust.

If you are going for something in the CUCv family I would go for an M1009. I have been driving mine as my daily driver and various other weekend/offroad type things for about 7 months with no problems, it goes everywhere i need it too and cost me around $4,000 (you can find them cheaper). any questions feel free to PM me.

K45

I will say if you wanting to buy one straight up in good condition that someone has done the work , of what I have seen cost between $4k-6k

It depends where the vehicle origniated to tell you the issues. most have floor panels rotted due to the rubber mat and insulation. Also rockers tend to get rust, but so does the civilian trucks on this matter.

I think you pretty much have to toe it even if it is "runing"so plan for it anyways.

No matter what with the gov liquadators expect work needed on it. Of what my friends have gone through and what I have seen.

I would suggest reading through the tech manuals to get famialr with them and if you have a good knowledge of GMs civilian trucks then this wil not be a far leap to understand. Tons of parts out there. I will say the m1008 (truck) is much easier to find than the m1028. Good luck.

markdl000

Thanks Gents.
Where would I find the manuals that you spoke about?
any free on the web?

THANKS GUYS, and THANKS FOR THE PM!

Mark

K45

At the top of my head I can not remember where some are at. they are floating around online. i did se on here they are working on geting that togethor with this new site. Also for the basics look at the top under "Resources" that will help a little.

BobM

The manuals are available here on this site. just start at the CUCV section. And I agree about the towing. My 1008 looked like it had missed the dreaded GL forklift, but it hadn't! Needed a driveshaft AND an adapter between the tranny and T-case.:cry:
And expect the pickups to be SLOOOOOW! those 4.56 gears are really tall!

K45

On autotrader there are 2 m1028 for sale both are $5,000 thats abotu all I know I am not able to pull up anymore info on this computer. It looks like they are being sold by the same guy. 1 is an ambulance body and the other is a ultility truck. Hope it hleps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks