• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50' Slave Cable ???

M1075

I have a 50' slave cable. What were/are these long ones used for? I have never had a problem reaching something with a 20' and 12' is usally enough. Unless the scenario requires single file vehicles, I don't know where I would use these. Please enlighten me.

If I don't need them, then I am thinking of cutting them in 2 (or 3) sections to make several pairs. Any thoughts? How much does that cable bring per foot anyway?

sermis

I cut a 50' cable into 12 cables. I found 2/0 automotive terminals and got a hammer set from the welding store to put the ends on. I could see using a 50’ cable once in 5years or so. I have another 50’ that I was thinking about cutting. The 50’ cable is heavy and a pain.
When copper prices were so high I thought about selling the ends and just scrap the copper. I am getting $100 for the 12’ cables + ride.

wiggall

If you decide to make it shorter I have several NOS Single Pole Slave Cable Ends for $60.00 + Shiping from Idaho. FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1969-1973

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When we were in the field, every once in while the 50 footers had to come out.. When they did, they were worth their weight in gold.

Westech

CPL
I "found" a 50 footer in my motor pool. I snached it up so fast, well not fast its heavy as heck. I have seen lots of long ones. Why we have them is because it a truck is dead 99.99999% of the time the trucks around it are all locked up and cant get in to jump so you have to reach out and hope there is a LMTV around to drive up and or just plug in to.

wb1895

I have used the 50' cables a fair amount when we are in the field. Most of the time a vehicle ( M2A2 Bradley) dies and there is no way to get another vehicle close to it due to trees, rocks, mud, Ect. But most of the time we use them while our Bradleys are in the motor pool sitting. Only the 50' cables will reach betewwn two parked Bradleys. They are a VERY useful item it have.

NEIOWA

I have a 50' slave cable. What were/are these long ones used for? I have never had a problem reaching something with a 20' and 12' is usally enough. Unless the scenario requires single file vehicles, I don't know where I would use these. Please enlighten me.

If I don't need them, then I am thinking of cutting them in 2 (or 3) sections to make several pairs. Any thoughts? How much does that cable bring per foot anyway?
Long cables were used on 5t TPU to power the electric 50gpm fuel transfer pump. Run from the truck slave recpt. to the fuel pump.

Stonepicker1

I'm not sure, but back in the day (early 80's) when we had a bunch of 22 1/2 cranes at our unit. Each crane had a 50 foot slave cable with it. Came in handy when you couldn't get close because of the mud. We also had them for our 50,000 lb container handlers.

I wouldn't cut your last one.2cents

swordmd

They are BII for M577's to run the gen set away from the track because of the noise. Lots on surplus now because the M1068 has a new gen set that runs on JP8 with a lot less noise.

emr

I just used my 50fters sat morn at 530 am, to fire up the 925 for the Toys for Tots run, A cell went bad in a batt in the 925 and it was/is nice a snug deep in the maintenence tent, actually knowing the way life goes, i fired up the truck I did not want to use first, then went to find the truck I wanted to use was dead, i was able to pull the deuce right out and jump her, and yes , it would be a crime to cut them in my opinion...I have a 50 and a 16 in each truck, i have found 6,8,12 16 and 20's and 50s in service. and there may be more, one never knows, ...nice find on that set...

We have two pairs of 50ft'rs and love them. No doubt about being like a sack of anvils for weight. You can hook to 20ft cables to the below adapter to make a longer cable out of two.

http://www.milbatteries.com/accessories/tt/NATO_coupler.pdf

Oddly enough the gauge of wire must vary on some cables as the wrecker we bought had a new pair of 50ft cables and easily weigh another 10lb+ over the other 50ft slave cables we bought a few years ago that are U.S. nato style also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks