• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Problem

bus63kombi

Ok I have a 1984 M1009 CUCV, It is a kick ass truck, Runs great but when you start it when it is cold is when it gets fun. I tested the Plugs and all 8 are at around 1.4 ohms, So I tested to see if there was voltage coming to the plugs, and nothing, So a friend gave me another relay and I put it in, and still nothing, The top red wire gets 24 volts, the bottom orange when gets nothing when the key is on and it says it is glowing, Where do the two smaller center wires go? And what should I look at now?
Thanks

mangus580

Glow plug controller under the dash is probably shot. Another member here has been testing repairs on them. If you are interested, send me the controller and I can attempt to fix it. (I dont have a bad one to work on, and the other member worked on his himself)

mangus580

its up under the dash, near the steering column. From what I understand, its a circuit board type card that might have a black plastic box around it, maybe 1" high by 3" wide, by 3-4 in the other direction (wire end to opposite end)

bus63kombi

Ok, i found it, Doesn't look to be anything wrong with it, like burn circuits or anything. I would need to figure out how to test it to see if that was it. But I am going to see if I can get one out of my friends parts 1009 and see if that works

mangus580

That is the most common problem with the glow plug system on teh CUCV's From what I understand, its actually pretty rare to find a good one these days. You can test the glow plug relay by determining which of the 2 small terminals are ground, and supply voltage to the other one. Dont leave them connected for more than about 5 seconds, as you dont want to fry your GP's.

Also dont use ether as a starting fluid! (just a warning) use pure silicone spray instead.

mangus580

That will work, but I would suggest changing the glow plugs out then, with 'self limiting' ones, so you dont (or someone else) leave them on too long, and swell the plugs. It is a nightmare getting sweleld plugs out. check out www.ssdieselsupply.com (think thats the link) for self limiting ones.

bus63kombi

Thank you very much. You have been a huge help with me adventures with this wonderful vehicle. See this is a jump for me, I restore VW's, I so far have 6 old aircoolers, but I love this truck.
O one other thing. What temp does the engine run at. After the thermostat opens.
Thanks again

mangus580

gotcha...

if your tubing is rated for 200 degrees, 80 PSI, you should be fine. Your cooling system shouldnt generate more than around 15 PSI I think.

do you run your truck for long periods of time? or would biodiesel be better?

bus63kombi

Yeah my normal commute is about 20 mins to an hour, I put 500 miles on my truck in the first week and half I had the truck. Right now I am running a blend of diesel and Veggie oil in the tank, But I want a heated tank for this winter and to run 100% and eventually I will be running Bio and Veggie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks