• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Petronix Ignitor

davidkroberts

I installed my Electronic Ignition on my 1961 Unimog 404. I bought it from Expedition Imports from Scott and the install was flawless.

The online directions from the Expedition Imports website were much more clear than the included written directions. The truck is running much better and the only trouble i had was the plastic magnetic ring that went around the distributor shaft is a bit of a pain to seat. Also when running the black wire to the coil be sure to not misplace the connection piece from the old wire where is connects to the coil. That piece needs to be at a semi-certain length to work properly. The screw fitting has a male piece that the wire ends wrap around and it works better if you reuse the old one.

Things I learned
1. Drilling out the distibutor fitting while its on the truck doesnt work
2. Carry an envelope for all the little parts you might want to keep or will have to reuse.
3. Even though the directions say you CAN use a bench grinder to shorten the rotor you cannot ( or i cannot anyway).... use a belt sander
4. The Radio Noise Suppressor is the cigar looking thing to the right of the coil and the red wire connects on the bottom of it.

If anyone needs any pics ill be happy to take some but the install pics on the website pretty much cover everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks