• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military air conditioner

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have the higher TM electronically for this? I found the -24 on LOGSA
TM 5-4120-355-24P but no others (any code) and might want to see more on this commerically made unit.

Anyone know of a cheap inverter or chopper to make the 3 PH 400HZ from a 60Hz source? I've done small static choppers and run 420Hz synchronous, but nothing this size.

Air conditioner vertical, compact, 6000 BTU per hour.

MFD by Redmanson Corp.
NSN 4120-00-935-1607
P /N 13714E3400 or 97403

208 volts, 3 phase,
400 cycle, MFD 1968 packed in wooden boxes. CU. 16.5 Unused
Last tested, 12-85
Wt. 195 lbs
Item No. AC-4120

Price $375.00 FOB Chicago

also see Help with an air conditioner.. what is it? - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Commercial 10k BTUH will cost less, weigh less and run on 'regular 110' all day long. I have a 9K BTUH military AC in my S-250 that will be pulled out and replaced by a 5K unit. Half the capacity, 2/3 the size, 1/4 the weight, half the amperage of the GI unit, and better controls.2cents

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, I would consider it, but where would I mount it? No trailers.

Mike, those things are true. One issue is how to cool the condenser.

About the controls, I do not like the modern electronic controls on the a/c units today. They tend to encourage less comfortable settings and if the power goes off and comes back, the a/c is not going to turn itself back on.

The vertical units usually cool at the back panel and fit flush with the outside of the enclosure, and the more common horizontal units cool themselves on the sides and back, and are made to stick out of the enclosure. I don't want anything to stick out. I do not mind cutting openings to facilitate condenser cooling.

A condenser needs an air in and out. A possibility is to sacrifice one window to perform one side of this. With an M109, it is possible to go through the floor for this, or through the side. I am still thinking of ways to avoid cutting the walls. A 12x18 grille in the floor, under a piece of machinery, that is OK, no one will notice.

In TX, a minimum of 12,000BTU is needed in an S-280 to achieve 70 degrees inside with 100 degrees outside and direct sun. Possibly more in an M109

Over 4 years of doing coms at an annual event I have this small set of data:
conditions: 100 +/-3 degrees, July, 60% humidity, full sunlight.
shelter: S-280 in M35 bed. No cover. Outer skin 120 degrees
Inside conditions:
8000 BTU: inside skin 100 degrees, inside air 80 degrees
12000 BTU: inside skin not measured. inside air 70 degrees.
18000 BTU: inside skin 90 degrees, inside air 65 degrees

So... me being a cold fiend, I am looking at maintaining a high capacity, more than a ton. Ideally, two small units can be installed so that one can be used alone when two are not needed. That is how I had the M35's S280 staged. First the 8000, then the 12,000.

As it's a 5-ton truck, I don't care about weight except that it is well distributed from one side to the other. It needs some weight in the back. I am open to different configurations, and I like vertical units because that is the kind of room in an M109.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks