• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need some transmission info asap

maritimer

ok so anyone who has been watching the cucv forums knows i snapped the transmission casing in half of my daily driver m1009 and its been down for about 1.5 weeks. well i got given a th400 out of a gas 2 wheel drive truck.. i know its burnt out and needs a rebuild but besides a diesel specific torque converter and the old disel governer, is it just a simple bolt in jobby or is there guts inside it that need to be swapped to get it to mate with the m1009

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Tailshaft will have to be swapped out, hopefully the internals on your old 1009 tranny are still useable.

maritimer

well the case snapped 3inches towards the bellhousing from where the xfer case mates the the trans case at whic hpoint it was pulled to the side of the road and flat towed 250yrds to my place. i know the orig trans was soon in need of a rebuild anyway as a result of the type of working i do with it. just wanted to know if i can just have the donated trans rebuilt as is with only swapping the TC and governer

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have rebuilt many 350 an 400s. Purchase a book and a few special tools. They are not real expensive. 1 to compress the clutch packs. A long pick tool to help remove/replace o-rings. Some snap ring tools. And on the 400s there is a bolt in the bottom center after you remove the valve body that must be removed before you can remove the front section of the inner guts. Not a real technical instuction. I am sure I have forgotten something, but there are plenty of brains here to pick.

jimm1009

broken tranny

The cases are marked 4 x 2 & 4 x 4 because the cases are thicker for the 4 wheel drive tranny. You can convert a 4 x 2 but you will have a thinner case.
It does indeed sound like you could repair yours but you will need to weight the $$.
Worse case, you could buy a core 4 x 4 and rebuild it. If you do buy a core, try to find one from a diesel as you are aware some parts are different.
Jim

:-o

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks