• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietm Gun Trucks

Southern Yankee

What was the biggest gun put on a 'Nam Gun Truck? How many? I'm planing on buying a 5ton to build a Gun Truck out of and I want it to look like the biggest and baddest truck from 'nam. Thanks in advance for the help.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, since you asked such a broad question - the French were in Vietnam before we were, and they mounted 40mm Bofors on CCKWs.

More to what you are after, a few gun trucks were equipped with a pair of GE miniguns. Not the largest caliber, but assuradly the most fire power.

Regards,
David Doyle

Southern Yankee

Yeah, I should have been more specific:oops:. I only ment US gun trucks. Thanks for the info. Did they ever build something like a quad 20mm? You know ...somthing crazy.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Southern Yankee I would ask that you do extensive research before you begin this most worthy project. There is a large group of actual Vietnam Guntruckers that have built replicas of the actual Guntrucks they fought. This is a proud and high spirited group of outstanding patriots and they have finished these vehicles down to the most minute detail.
If you pick a name for your truck that was actually in service in Vietnam, I would request you build her as close to original as possible and arm her the same.
A replica of an actual Guntruck can open memories and wounds for some of these fellers and can serve to heal the same if properly done. I said all that to say this...if you give your truck the name of a real Guntruck please get as close as you can to that truck.
If you pick a name out of the sky...do as you will.
Either way...BUILD A GUNTRUCK brother!!!!!!!

jasonjc

Some of the 2 1/2 ton ones use the quad .50's. Same mount that were used in WWII on the half-tracks. I think I seen one in a book that had 4 of the mini gun's. Other had twin .50's , twin M-60's or plan .50's and/or M-60's or any and all combo's there of. Get the book "The Hard Ride" it's all about the gun trucks.

Southern Yankee

I said all that to say this...if you give your truck the name of a real Guntruck please get as close as you can to that truck.
If you pick a name out of the sky...do as you will.
Either way...BUILD A GUNTRUCK brother!!!!!!!

You know that is exactly what I told my wife when I first started talking about it. Her uncle was in "nam and He has to take meds so he can sleep. I understand it can be a touchy subject. If I choose a name that was used I will make it as accurate as humanly possible. I have a few names in mind but I'm not sure if they've been used. If I choose a name that has been used I want it to be the baddest mother ever in service. At the same time I want it to be unusual (as if all gun trucks are not unusual). Thats why I researching now ....before I get the truck and start building. If the name has been used I want it to bring tears of joy to anyone who served on it. I do not want a crewmember looking at it and saying WTF? that's not how it's supposed to be. I want them to saw WOW this thing looks exactly as I remember. Thaks to all for their input.

Srjeeper

Check out these sites....
Army Transportation Association
Vietnam Gun Trucks on MSN
Vietnam Rembered
US Army Transportation Museum

and of course this very site and go back over all the old posts.

B3.3T

In regards to the biggest gun on any gun truck, you have to think through the application: counter ambush against forces with only light cover and spread out. For light brush, you need saturation fire. In Iraq, where you have thick concrete walls and buildings, precise direct fire with a punch is needed. So, in Vietnam, an M2HB is as heavy as you needed. Granted, as many as you could get. The M134 was the best, but they could only be obtained from down choppers, so hard to get.

Back to the You Tube "video", it is in fact a slideshow. That's not a criticism, it's a correction of terminology. Get over it. FIDO.

vtdeucedriver

Southern Yankee, how deep are your pockets??????? Most fire power ever carried on a Vietnam Gun Truck was 4 XM-134 mini guns. The current price for a BB Airsoft replica that is being used on the replica gun trucks being built costs $3,500 each. I am a firm believer on doing it right and authentic!!!!! But the costs are what has kept me from building mine and I have been working on that project since 1999.
Another web site
http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com

Not to mention I know a thing or 2 about gun trucks.;-)
vtdeucedriver@yahoo.com

Southern Yankee

Southern Yankee, how deep are your pockets???????

Not deep enough to be able to spend $14k on the mini guns alone. I belive it was the Maverick gun truck that carried 4 GE XM-134 mini guns as well as 2 M60's. I plan on picking up James Lyles book "The Hard Ride". I've heard it's a good source of information. I'm not sure I want to replicate an actual Vietnam Gun Truck or if I kinda want to create something of my own. What ever I build I want it to be correct with the era. No fake laser cannons on a 60's or 70's model truck for me... Thats why I asked about unusual stuff. I've seen pictures of quad 20mm AA guns (on the ground) and some other odd things like that. I know you wouldn't use an AA gun for ambush protection, but , you get the idea.

vtdeucedriver

Not deep enough to be able to spend $14k on the mini guns alone. I belive it was the Maverick gun truck that carried 4 GE XM-134 mini guns as well as 2 M60's. I plan on picking up James Lyles book "The Hard Ride". I've heard it's a good source of information. I'm not sure I want to replicate an actual Vietnam Gun Truck or if I kinda want to create something of my own. What ever I build I want it to be correct with the era. No fake laser cannons on a 60's or 70's model truck for me... Thats why I asked about unusual stuff. I've seen pictures of quad 20mm AA guns (on the ground) and some other odd things like that. I know you wouldn't use an AA gun for ambush protection, but , you get the idea.

You are correct on MAVERICK. If you want his book, e mail me. He will have more to sell just before x-mas. You might as well get one from the author and have a signed copy.

If your going to go through all the work, why dont you build one that actually existed.

Southern Yankee

The whole "build it like I want it" is why I was considering building a non-existant truck. But I like the historical value of an authentic gun truck.......I don't know what to do yet........If I build a "real" one I want to be sure it's exact all the way through. If I build my own I can decide what I do and do not want on it. It really a hard choice to make. I guess I need to look through some pics and specs on the different trucks to help me make up my mind.

How much is his book? Has the second volume came out yet?

Thanks for your help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks