• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1952 Studebaker M35?

cbvet

Found an ad for a "1952 Studebaker M35 cargo truck".
I'm still new at this, but the only info I've come across for 1952 6x6 trucks are references to the M135 & M211.
Any ideas as to what this is? I'd like to know more about it before I go look at it.
Thanks,
Eric Wendt

Longhunter7

Studebaker US6

Eric,

The Studebaker US6 was the 2 1/2 ton truck that was made in Indiana during WWII.

There is a great article in the August issue of Military Vehicles magazine.

Someone either has the wrong date or the wrong truck! :?:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attached find a pic of my (formerly) 1952 Studebaker M275. Yeah, I like tractors. M35s were in production in 1952 and Studebaker was making a bunch of them. It's highly possible that it's exactly what's advertised. There's quite a following of Stude collectors that buy these just because they're Studes.

Attachments

lacoda56

As I understand it, Studebaker built the same trucks as Reo in the early 50's. Of course, they were all gas engine models. Around '56, Curtis Wright bought Studebaker and for a short time, continued to build the M45 & M46 under the Utica Bend name.

cbvet

Yes, it's a Studebaker!

Looked it over & drove it around some.
It is a Stude-built M35 type with gas engine. Front winch.
Body is really in great shape. Runs good. Good tires. Cab heater. Good glass. Gas engine sure is quiet compared to my Multifuel!
Says he paid $7,000 a few years ago. He's asking $5,000 but would probably take less.
Has rear main seal leak.Clutch slips pretty badly once warmed up. Needs a better paint job.
When I bought my 1970 M35, I was absolutely unconcerned about driving it 1,000 miles home. I don't think I would want to drive this one 100 miles, even with a good clutch. I can't define it exactly, but it just doesn't feel right. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the one I've got. I think the Stude is more of a museum piece than a driving piece.
I don't buy guns I can't shoot!
Anyway, a cool truck for someone.
Thanks again for all the responses.
Eric Wendt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was me and that was the best flat towin deuce I've ever drug home. It followed me on every corner no matter how tight I cranked it. The normal M35A2 stuff tends to turn the wrong way on sharp turns especially rights. When I got to Newmans I had 100 gallons of diesel in the transfer tank and he put a deuce front axle in the back of the pickup too. The rear can be seen on the porch of the tractor. This was the one that got me cocky about flat towing. It was the next deuce that I nearly jacknifed in Jax FL that put towing this kind of stuff in perspective. Just because your pickup will move it, doesn't mean you should. Man do I have stories about the towbar!

carguy455

Pictures Eric , PICTURES !

OK Eric,

You told me you ended up BUYING the Studebaker in the end, so pony up some PHOTOS for your "new" iron !!!!

I'm sure we all want to see it !!!!

Gary

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an older string but just posting a pic of my 1952 Studebaker M35
I had a 1953 studebaker M108 wrecker , had a 1955 curtis-wright M35 (parts donor now), and still have a 1963 utica-bend M49C. Weight-to-hoist capy ratio, that M108 was a very efficient and impressive little truck compared to my M62 ..

And a "yes" goes out to Longhunter7,,,, Reo did make the first M35's, however, M35-family production contracts were let out to other builders during the 1950's.. The same situation is true with 5-ton trucks from 1951 to about 1959

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks