• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just joined, from Tacoma, WA

datsunaholic

Hello all

My name is Doug, I'm from (near) Tacoma, WA. Just joined the site to look around.

I have a 1971 (at least that's what the title says) M35A2 that I bought from GL in April and drove home June 1st. I finally got plates on it in August after a somewhat prolonged battle that was caused by me not realizing I could fill out the SF97 application "form" all by myself and submit it (for some reason I thought I needed a WA State Inspection). But, that's done and over with.

A little background- I didn't jump into the Deuce completely uninformed- I am ex-Navy, and was an Engineman (diesel mechanic) when in. My last 3 1/2 years were reserve where we used both Dueces and 5-tons to tow boats and equipment. While I preferred the 5-ton, I soon realized that owning one of those was probably out of the question due to the licencing requirements plus they sell for a whole heck of a lot more. Anyhow, I'd been bidding since 2002, but didn't get one until now when the government really started unloading the M35s.

My truck is not going to win any show and shine awards, but it will be a casual workhorse, towing trailers. My old F250 was just getting too tired, and I got the Deuce for less than a decent replacement. I've already done one mod- had a reciever hitch installed so I can tow my flatbed (or my boat). The truck already draws a bit of attention standing out in the driveway. Certainly dwarfs my tiny little commuter.

And I've already had to make a couple repairs... while I did manage to drive it off Fort Lewis using a neighbor's Transport plate (he runs a tow truck operation) the batteries were dead flat and done for, and the generator wouldn't pick up with batteries that flat. In addition sometime between my initial inspection and me picking it up the light switch pulled a Houdini act (whoever pilfered it was kind enough to leave the screws on the seat for me). Easy enough to find a replacement, though. Plus the first trip down the freeway the tach cable broke, and the tach itself is really sticky (replacement on its way, it had a "new" plastic-can tach which I don't like).

Anyhow, I tend to ramble, but I'm sure I'll be asking questions- I'll search first, already found good info on wiper replacements (the military ones just don't cut it). And if anyone wants to know how us Navy guys ended up using Army trucks (that the Army had already discarded) I have a few stories.

spentshell

Good to meet you Doug, good luck with your new truck. Is Tacoma anywhere near Mukilteo(I think I spelled that right)? I was up that way about 2 years ago visiting a company I sell equipment for called Hydramaster. Hey how about some pics of a Datsun in the bed of the Deuce. Cool truck, thumbs up.

MilitaryRestoration

Man I can't believe the new people from west coast lately.... I love it! We went from a few of us all spread out to a bunch of us withing driving distance from each other... Still nothing like east coast but we are making a start! Welcome aboard!!! I think I remember either bidding on your truck or at least seeing it, but it's very familiar!

datsunaholic

Aaron, I wouldn't expect there'd be much use for a truck on a sub. My ship (when I was active) had forklifts... But I spent close to 6 months with my Reserve unit at SUBBASE Bangor (WA) in 2002, we had our poor excuse for a "Motor pool" there for a while before we moved it to Manchester.

I think there's a lot more "West Coasters" now since Ft Lewis DRMOd around a hundred Deuces this year. There were always a ton down in California, but IIRC Cali requires a CDL to drive one (WA does not, I checked first). Still can't find a CUCV; and they're getting VERY rare. I bid on a couple on GSA, but they still go for a bunch in towaway condition. Well, the Deuce works better for what I want to tow anyway.

I don't think I'll have any Datsuns in the bed of the Deuce (dunno how I'd get them there if they'd fit, would hang out a little) but that's what the flatbed trailer is for.

Couple pics from the day I got it home. I've since gotten the center bow all the way in (may never get it OUT again though) and had a receiver hitch installed. As you can see the tailgate is a bit bent. The truck came with most of its loadout- 2 jacks, 3 fire extinguishers, lug wrenches, a full set of tire chains, and a few odds and ends.

Attachments

DanMartin

Welcome to SS! I have to agree with Todd, it's great to see all of these Northwest folks joining!

We need to get a rally together for this summer...lots of new faces to meet.

Nice truck BTW. I wish I had a ladder...:(

Hey Doug - good to have ya; I am currently out of state... fixing even bigger diesel stuff at the Swan Island shipyard in Portland - but I am in the Seattle area most of the year - if you are looking for parts ever PM me and I can give you a number of a local guy - just don't want to flood him with calls as he tends to get cranky :wink:

Anyhow don't give up on the 5 ton everyone needs one!

Catch ya around

Matt

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
doug,

Welcome to SS. I've recently moved from southern Cali to Gig Harbor. I work in Fife. I've been pushing for a SS rally in the area.

dma251

If we can get enough people together I'd love the excuse to let the hemtt strectch it's freeway legs a little ways. I'm up in Arlington, and every year at the annual airshow here there is a pretty good showing of military vehicles and armor. I'll be there this year with mine.

Welcome aboard!

datsunaholic

I'll post stories in the proper forum.

I'd be up for a meet if I can swing it- tend to keep busy with my other love, vintage race boats. They too have a military connection- the engines are from WWII Warbirds (Allison V1710s and Rolls-Royce Merlins, both of which are V12s).

wiggall

Welcome aboard I too picked up a deuce at Ft. Lewis, I got mine on 30 June. We have had a BALL WITH IT! I to was in the NAVY, but on a TIN CAN! I too have a bunch of SEA STORIES to tell. FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1969-1973

dma251

dma - when is this event? I still have yet to meet you and your new toy ;-) good excuse to drive up there :)

The EAA Fly-In and Military vehicle show/parade is July 7-12, 2009. Here is a link to pictures of the showing last year, but I hear rumblings that it will be larger in 2009.

http://psmvcc.oldmv.com/images/2008arlington/arlington2008big.htm

Here's other pics too from 2007

http://psmvcc.oldmv.com/images/2007arlington/arlingtonhossack.htm

You guys really should check this out. I'll be there in 2009 with my HEMTT!!!

AN/ARC186

Welcome Doug,
I'm a new guy here myself, we keep this up we will have the makings for a good rally.
I work at Fort Lewis and I'm always keeping an eye on the DRM yard, you never know what is going to show up.
If you need any help with electrical just yell
Dan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks