• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Problems!!

jd-ford-hd

I like the new format. I would LOVE the new format if it worked all the time, every time, like the old one. Maybe its me! I tried day and nite for five days to post pics of mounting the big 20" tires in the 5 ton forum. FINALLY, got it done. Liked the way it turned out too!

My problem #1:
All sites I go to, Ebay, SS etc. I like to right click and open in a new tab to view different threads. It just dont work here. Sometimes I can get 2 or 3 tabs loaded most times the new tab will try and try and then it goes to the white screen of "Internet Explorer cannot etc.". Happens EVERY time I am on here. Sometimes the new tab will go to a solid green screen for 2 or 3 minutes and finally load the thread and then again it will go to the white IE page. Experimenting last night I opened 22 different tabs in an off road forum I like. Every single tab opened immediatley and in its entirety. Sometimes the SS page opens loaded with little white boxes with red X's in them where all images should be!! I have DSL with excellent speed.

My problem #2:
The search! When I go to advanced search I am most of the time prompted that I do not have authority or something like that to access advanced search!! I have gotten there a time or two.

My problem #3:
I just dont get the search itself!! I know its ignorance, not stupidity (I think!!). For instance; I search the words "5 ton spin on filters" and I select thread or post, either way the results will be a long list of thread titles with not nary a word in them that I have used for the search! HELP ME!!!

Mike, thanks for your effort, sorry for the long post, but how will you know whats going on if we dont go into details.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
jd-ford-hd,

I had the same problems when I began searching. A good trick I have found when searching is to try and find a good keyword to use. Using "5 ton spin on filters" will result in the search engine finding any thread with the following words:

ton
spin
on
filters

The search feature isn't smart enough to realize you are looking for ALL of those words in one thread. So it looks for them all individually.

If it were me and I was trying to find spin on filter info, I would probably search this way:
"spin AND filter". By putting "AND" in the field, you tell the search engine to look for both words.

Hope this helps.

motorolanut

site

As with any new site. Quirks are soon discovered. It takes all of the members to report them to the administrators in order to correct them.

I myself have spent hours cussing websites as they are not user friendly
or at least my perception of user friendly..LOL

Keep up the suggestions to the Mods and Admins. Give this new format a chance and about year later, We members will see most of the bugs worked out.

Ya gotta admit.....The green color kicks A@s....LOL

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So far as problem #1, I haven't had this issue. And I do the same thing, I open all the threads in new windows so when I am done, I can just close them. I don't really know what to say about that.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I have problem 1, but only on my computer at work (where I am not supposed to be looking at SS anyway...:twisted:). It is a very high speed connection, but the site takes forever to load and sometimes does all the other things you describe, but mostly I get a very longlasting blank OD screen. My dinosaur-dialup connection at home opens it all up no problem. Makes me suspect it is not a site problem, but something on our end. As to what, I have no clue, I am not very good with these electronic things...

Cheers

Last edited:

jd-ford-hd

Thank you M813. Thank you, thank you..!..! Now I know that I am not crazy :razz:!:razz:! Now if one of the moderators or administrator will chime in with the techno on this, life will be good again!! Dont really want to change to Foxfire as otisroy suggested because I am used to IE and it works perfectly for me every where else.

lstmate

Instead of right clicking to open in a new tab use the tools and on the general screen is a tab setup button. Make sure it is set to open links in a new tab in your window. Then all you have to do it double click the link and it should always open in a new window.

Just my 2cents

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See, lstmate knows that techno stuff! That still leaves the question on why it takes so long to load the first page. My guess was that the computer security stuff at work was examining the site for politically incorrect or "not allowed" stuff, eg you can't open Craigslist, Flikr, etc., you just get a "You are not allowed to look there and you are supposed to be working anyway" message.

By the way JD, me suffering from the same affliction does not necessarily indicate a clean bill of mental health for you! In fact, perhaps you should be more worried! :)

Cheers

jd-ford-hd

Thanks 1stmate for the input. It just dont matter how I get to a new tab or window. Right clicking and selecting new tab or new window is the way I like to do it. I prefer multiple tabs to multiple windows. Problem #1 is not affected any way I do it. Thanks M813 for the reassuring words..!! I have three computers that I use. Desktop @ work. Desktop @ home. Laptop on my lap(where else, right?).. I have problem #1 on each one of them ALL the time. Will keep annoying people by posting to this thread till someone stumbles across this and has the answer.!.!.! I am that confident that the answer lies with one of the members or moderators.

jd-ford-hd

Still cant surf this site like the old one. Hard to believe one other individual and myself are the only ones having the
problem. I have three different computers with two different ISPs with the same problem on all. Can someone help
with problem number one?!? As I type this in the reply box that took at least 30 seconds to load (on DSL!!) , I am
looking at little white boxes with red Xs where the emoticons are. Everything else is normal. If I get this reply posted
I will be done for the session because no more than four pages of SS will load in a session. THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE
ON THE NET THAT THIS HAPPENS!!!!

Last edited:

Michael

I am not having the problems you are having. Did you by chance set up all 3 computers? Do they have more than one anti virus program running on them? That will slow your systems down.

dmetalmiki

problems

I have (all) same problems as mentioned. cannot post pics..cant even look at interesting postings without "you dont have authority" and you must REGISTER!!??..its VERY hit and miss. and sometimes loading takes just too long to keep trying. so I only look in from time to time now. hope all comes good soon ..I LIKED the old site. thats progress I guess.

Last edited:

jd-ford-hd

Finally got "my problem" fixed. I installed Advanquest System Suite 9 a few months ago for my security program. Coincidentally at the same time the new Steel Soldiers was being born. SS was the only website(still wonder why) that I had problems with, so I assumed it was the site, not my computer. I finally just quit trying to view or post on SS. Then last week I noticed that my favorite site, ebay, started showing the same symptoms. The people at Advanquest were inept and slow to respond. On a hunch, I uninstalled their program and installed Microsoft OneCare. The problems were still there. I contacted support, got an immediate answer, tried their remedy and "viola" (as Ernest would say!!) I am back in business. I can right click and open in a new tab several posts at once to compare subject matter just like I do ebay stuff. I like to use multiple tabs as opposed to multiple windows. I just posted my full fender project in the 5 ton forum with 8 photos without a hitch! Before, I could not even view 8 photos on SS!! I am posting the remedy used so others might find it helpful. Here it is:

Reset Internet Explorer

=================

1. Please open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", and click "Internet Options".

2. On the "Advanced" tab, click "Reset" under "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" section.

3. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

4. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Browsing box.

5. On the "Programs" tab, click "Make Default" button if it is not grayed out.

6. Click "Apply", click "OK".

P.S. Dont forget to restart your computer for changes to take affect.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for shareing the info, and glad your back.:wink:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your problem AND your fix with the other members of the site. It is appreciated.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks