• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scrap f4 phantom aircraft

boomer

Robert, Thanks for posting this. The Phantom is my favorite Warbird, being from the Vietnam era. Who would have thought there would be an F4, for sale, by the Government, after all this time, AND intact?
This wouls fit nicely on my property! A trip to the air base would be nice. Unfortunatly most of my $$ is invested in all my military vehicles, parts, surplus, and U.S. military collectables. Along with a few muscle cars, parts, and other collections.
The only thing that changes my situation, with the timing on this, is knowing it would have to be cut up. In lot's of pieces.:cry:. BUT, since the DOD states that, it would not be as bad, knowing it can AND would be put back together!!!!! Anyone out there with a plasma cutter?????
Boomer
This is a military vehicle too!! Also a piece of history!

boomer

Additional-
Who is interested in ivesting to retreive this, and help save this from becoming scrap?? I know there has to be some pilots/crewmen or aviation buffs around. On that note, another option would be, to contact the museums (military/warbird, too). Also the vet groups; V V A, V F W, A L, etc. Like an M-60, M-43 (tank), APC's or m-105 Howitzer, the F4 should sit in front of the building. I have seen many aircraft fixed in front of veterans quarters, in my travels (A4, A6, A7, F8, and even helicopters; AH-1 and the (famous) UH-1.
That would be best.
Boomer

Crash_AF

I'm fairly certain that when it's come to this point at a GL auction, there is no way to prevent it from being chipped. That said, I'm sure there are others at DM in AZ that could be saved if you could find the proper paperwork to submit for that end use.

Later,
Joe

m35tech

I think this was a static craft at Hickam Air base for alot of years as that unit was stationed at Hickam,
this would be a treat to save, can you say boat trip
I have a plasma cutter, hmm could put as checkin but we would need a large compressor....and some rivets, and aluminum....

sgtrisk

I used to live in Tucson, no the south side of town. I used to drive my Davis-Monthan AFB all the time and drool over all the aircraft parked in the boneyard there. And there were bunches of scrap dealers all around the place, too. I always dreamed of getting a cockpit to "play" with... I can see a scrap aircraft sitting in my front yard... ;)

FrankUSMC

We had a field full of F4s here at MCAS Cherry Point just a couple of years ago. The place I work at would rebuild them into flying drones. When they flew out of here they were a brand new airplane, with a one way ticket. They would fly them out to the west coast to be shot down. What Boomer was saying about museums, they did have a couple go out of here on low boy trucks, but only a handful. I wish more could have been saved.
To the Marines and everybody that loved her the F4 had many names, The Coal Burner (she did leave some smoke in her trail), the flying Brick (she was tough), and the Cadillac of the skies.
Just a beautiful bird.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

"V"

Hi all !

This is supposed to be an old F-4 C from the 199th TFS Hawaii ANG.

She's in very good estate cause she was surely a gate guardian. I'm fond of this airplane. Too bad to read that she should go into pieces. :cry:

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the 80's there was a scrapped F4 in A junk yard in Black River Falls, WI.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks