• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Actually in a Barn-Slat Grill?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried one of those radio Dial-A-Trade shows where you call what you want to sale or buy, well I ended with I wanted to buy any old military vehicles available, and I got a call, It looks pretty rough but seem to have all the major part there, it is, from what I can tell, a 1941 MB, the guy has come down to a grand and a small gen set I have. But do I really need another project, and a Jeep(another SKU in the mix)? My only competition right now is a guy who wants to make a mud buggy out of it, and I can't let that happen to it!!!!!
James G.

Attachments

Tackettr

Save the Slat Grill!!! :-D Grand & generator is a good deal for what I can see. Grap it up and sell it to someone here or G503. I don't think you will have any problem getting your money back a plus you'll be saving and old soldier that deserves better than a pig pen!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guy Just Called

Owner just called, he needs some cash, he dropped down to my first bid of $800 and the 1.5kW gen set. Couldn't pass it up, looks like I will be adding to my vehicle list. Going to pick it up Monday!
James

Attachments

hole

Looks like a good find from the pics! 2 weeks ago there was a MB for sale in my local paper, $2500 " runs but needs work " but lack of time and cash kept me from checking it out to see if it might have been worth it. Someday I hope to remedy the time/cash problem as I'd like to have an old MB;-)

shootiniron

Nice find and save! I just sold one,42' slattie one of the last, there great fun but you just dont get the same "respect on the road",for lack of a better phrase,that you get when in the big stuff.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This will work out fine on the wooded ten acres I have around the cabin I live in during the workweek. Now I have to build a shop!
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovery

I went to pick up the Willys, will not move! Looks like the clutch is stuck to the flywheel. Whats the easiest/least damaging way to pop the clutch loose?
James G.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember reading an article in Four Wheeler from 1990 or so, where there was an old flat fender Willys with the clutch stuck to the flywheel. IIRC, they pulled the top inspection cover off the tranny, sprayed the heck outta the parts with BreakFree or something similar, and used a large crowbar and pryed with all their might. It worked, but I think they cared less about the Willys than you or I would.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stuck clutch eh? That stinks, but you got such a good deal, who cares, right?! Congrats on a great find!

I haven't had the displeasure of freeing a stuck clutch on one of my own vehicles. However, I have been advised on several methods over the years. One of two of them involved starting the engine or turning it over with the starter. It's safe to assume that's not an option in your case :)

Another method will work if the engine will bar over. Open the inspection plate and loosen all of the pressure plate bolts to the last couple of threads. Then, use a really thin knife to work around between the clutch disk and the flywheel.

Another method works if the engine is free and the tires are decent. Get a tow vehicle to pull you around with the tranny in 2nd gear and the clutch pedal depressed.

Another option is to drop the tranny. If you are really luck the clutch will be rusted to the input shaft or the throw-out bearing will be seized too. :twisted:

Or, you could get a roll-back wrecker.

Or, you could get some of those dollies that fit under the wheels and put the back tires on those while you pull it on the trailer.

Those should keep you busy for a while!! Have fun!!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you just want to move it around, put the transfer case in neutral.

The clutch was stuck in my 46 jeep, but darn if I can remember what fixed it. It was pretty rough engaging till the rust wore off. I take that back, I had to remove the motor anyways, so just took it off the flywheel while I was at it.

Dennis

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Put it in gear, push the clutch in and rock the vehicle back and forth, increasing each time. Eventually it will come loose.

Disclaimer: I have done this mny times but never did the clutch have a long life afterwards.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Let me get this right. You have a little jeep that is stuck. Your avitar is a wrecker. Where is the problem? :twisted:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are in the same state but a couple of hundred miles apart. Pulling the drive shafts are no problem so getting it on the car hauler is the easy part, but I have no experience with 1/4 tons and stuck clutch plates. They appear a little more delicate than my 5 ton!
James

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just razzing ya James. I wouold plan on pulling the trans off and re-surfacing the flywheel. Then put in a clutch. I agree with Clinto on the fact that once they are bonded, even if you get it free, it will not last long. Those little parts can't cost as much as the big stuff like a wrecker.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rolled just fine with a pull

Picked up the Willys today, a little pull and it rolled just fine, rear passenger wheel tried to drag a little but pretty much a picture perfect recovery, the jeeps serial number is 100669 built on November 24,1941, less than two weeks before Pearl Harbor was attacked!
James G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks