• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Starts and Runs"?

uoa

I'm looking at a *Deuce* whose description says "starts and runs." I'm guessing this is a good candidate for a drive off but what would be a limiting factor for me to drive it off?

I also have an F-450 that I will be taking if/when I pick it up, what is the consensus on towing with this truck if I had too?

As you can tell from my post count, I'm new at this but I have lurked here for a while and am mechanically inclined. Driving the thing will not be a problem for me, I just need to know the brakes will work and the motor wont die.

Last edited:

dependable

It is a toss up if the truck can be driven home.. If it was me, I'd find a trailer I could use and tow it back with the F 450. I would not try to flat tow, as that makes for gray hair..

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well, I'm sure many will chime in here soon.....do you have a pic of the potential tow vehicle? If I was going to do it, I'd use a gooseneck or a 5th wheel trailer....

Or, dare I say it, alot of weight in the back of the truck to flat tow it...

I saw some guys doing just this (flat tow) awhile back on Hwy 25 here in NM....

randyscycle

"Starts and runs" leaves a lot of open area. It may have no clutch, no driveshafts, no gears in the diffs, no fluids in it, wrong fluids in it, missing parts, etc. Or it may be just fine.

I'd go have a look prior to pickup just to save some grief. On the other hand, you may just get lucky and top the fluids off, jump it and drive it right home. Its always a crapshoot with GL stuff. Heck, you may find a diferent truck than the one in the picture when you get there.......

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness UOA.

I'm assumming that you are at O-State. I am working on a couple of Deuces now and you are more than welcome to turn a few wrenchs with me.

There a many members in the OKC area that will be more than happy to help inspect and help recover the truck.

I have bought 9 trucks so far. Two parts trucks, 6 runners and one that wouldn't run. Most of the trucks needed to have the brakes bled. I made a special setup to do that.

I will send a PM with my phone number.

Warthog

Last edited:
If it said "only driven on sundays by a little old lady" it would be Ok to drive. Just kidding. I drove mine home, it was listed as "driven onto lot", I had only minor problems. It was much more of an adventure than my recoveries with a trailer. If you decide to drive it off, do a search on this site for the lists of tools and parts to take along. No two recoveries are alike, but that is what makes it so fun. Good luck & be safe.

dabtl

I drove a starts and runs from Hooks to Bonham, Texas. We did not check oil, fuel or coolant. Jumped it off and drove it back.

The next time we started it, no brakes.

Life is a gamble.

Joe2303

last deuce i purchased that was advertised as starts and runs didnt even have batteries in it but would start with a jump from another truck, so needless to say starts and run may not necessarily mean under its own power or is driveable.

mistaken1

If at all possible go look at it.

The one I bought did not indicate that it started or ran but it still had the fire extinguisher in the cab which led me to believe it had been in use recently. According to the VIN info it had been parked 6 months prior to pickup so it had been in use up until then. The site manager said it was driven to the site from KC.

My buddy and I spent several hours crawling through and under the truck. It was in great shape, it did not need anything, fired right up and drove it right back to KC (they could have left it here and saved us all time and money LOL). God is good!

gmayor

I enjoyed picking up my last deuce from OKC. Drove it home just over 300 miles. Had almost a full tank of fuel. They had to pull start it as the batteries were dead. Glad I had taken a set of batteries with me, because they never charged and when I ran out of fuel (another story) I put my batteries I brought in and some fuel and it cranked right up. Always check stuff before you depart. But between the truck and you keep checking along the way with frequent stops. Oh check the fuel tank, not just the gauge. hehe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks