• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3 KW gen set runs non-stop

m139h2otruck

Here in NH we had a real bad ice storm on Thursday night, and power is still out for over 120,000 homes. My son took the 3 KW unit to his condo and hooked-up the icebox, the heater, a few lights and the TV and hooked up the condo across the drive so the little kids over there could have heat from a pellet stove. With everything on, power draw was no more than 25%!! Unit has been running non-stop since early Friday, and burned about 35-40 gallons of gas & used 2 quarts of 10-30 oil. Not too bad for old junk.

mangus580

Speaking of!

I have a 5kw ready to run... and a 5kw and 3kw that I could have together in short order...

$500 takes the 5kw's... $300 takes the 3kw

I could probably even be convinced to travel east to meet up with the needy.

m139h2otruck

Can the 5 KWs be hooked-up for 240 volts and connected direct to the house? Still can't figure out how to do this with the little 3 and 1.5 KW units. Currently the 3 KW is just being used @ 120 volts.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Speaking of!

I have a 5kw ready to run... and a 5kw and 3kw that I could have together in short order...

$500 takes the 5kw's... $300 takes the 3kw

I could probably even be convinced to travel west to meet up with the needy.

How far west....?:p

mangus580

How far west....?:p
:oops: fixed

Can the 5 KWs be hooked-up for 240 volts and connected direct to the house? Still can't figure out how to do this with the little 3 and 1.5 KW units. Currently the 3 KW is just being used @ 120 volts.
Yes and no...

If you set the generator to 208 3phase... you will get 120v between the terminals.... with 3 sets.

You can effectively wire your house using just 2 of the 3 legs of 120v. The 3rd will just sit there 'wasted'

What I had always intended to do, was wire it up to the house like that, and just put a plug on the 3rd leg... to use for say a freezer or something. That way you still get the full capacity of the generator...

m139h2otruck

I have no idea if it will work, but will try it and see. Why won't the setting for the 240 volt 1 phase work (fried heater when we tried it)? Does it have something to do with the difference between "Y" and "delta" generator setup? Thanks

Stonepicker1

On your 3kw, under the control box lid is the voltage selector switch. Always with the generator off, move the switch to the to the 240 1PH position. Your cable will be hooked to Terminals L1 & L2, hook your ground to Lo. You will only have about 15 amps on each leg so don't plan on running the hole house. You have 30 amps max.
You can back feed through the drier plug(quick fix). Always make sure the MAIN breaker for the house is off.(just in case the city power comes back online)

Stonepicker1

I have no idea if it will work, but will try it and see. Why won't the setting for the 240 volt 1 phase work (fried heater when we tried it)? Does it have something to do with the difference between "Y" and "delta" generator setup? Thanks
Was the heater 240 or 120 Volt.
With the switch in 120 1PH you only have one hot leg. Move it to 240 1PH and now you have two hot legs.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC you have to do some internal rewiring and add a switch position if you wish to retain factory operation and still have 120-0-120 house power. a long long time ago in an SS board far away I posted the diagrams for doing the wiring part of this, I think. also depended on the model.

m139h2otruck

Power finally came back on Tuesday @ about 5:00 pm. Little 3 KW ran almost the entire time, but gas use was about 60 gallons!! Never did get over 25% use/load so gas use seems high. Also, used about 4 quarts of oil total. Still better than no heat or lights! Only ran on 120 volt setting as everything was normal house voltage. Will try the 3 phase two leg split when we get a chance.

mangus580

Power finally came back on Tuesday @ about 5:00 pm. Little 3 KW ran almost the entire time, but gas use was about 60 gallons!! Never did get over 25% use/load so gas use seems high. Also, used about 4 quarts of oil total. Still better than no heat or lights! Only ran on 120 volt setting as everything was normal house voltage. Will try the 3 phase two leg split when we get a chance.
How much time did it actually run? See the note from the TM below

Technical Manual said:
(5) Average fuel consumption
is 0.95 gal. per hour
of continuous operation.

rmgill

This is perhaps redundant, but Critical.

IF you back feed into the house, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that your mains are off. Backfeeding to the grid can kill a lineman if he contacts what are supposed to be dead lines.

If your gen set is connected to a household plug and feeding your panel, the current where go anywhere it has conductivity. It can travel up stream and energize other components outside of your house. A transfer switch is a much safer way of handling this, if more expensive. Though, I can imagine that a lawsuit and charges would be more expensive.

mangus580

This is perhaps redundant, but Critical.

IF you back feed into the house, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that your mains are off. Backfeeding to the grid can kill a lineman if he contacts what are supposed to be dead lines.

If your gen set is connected to a household plug and feeding your panel, the current where go anywhere it has conductivity. It can travel up stream and energize other components outside of your house. A transfer switch is a much safer way of handling this, if more expensive. Though, I can imagine that a lawsuit and charges would be more expensive.
On this topic...

I just found this page

http://www.nooutage.com/TCA-1.HTM

Great prices on 'simple' transfer switches. I prefer these... so I dont have to pick and choose which circuit I might want.

m139h2otruck

Power was fed using cords and boxes, not through the house system. My father worked for PSNH for 30+ years, so we know all about backfeeding!! Good to let people know anyway.

Not sure how long the gen set ran, as I never looked at the hour meter before it was setup. Has to be at least 65-70 hours, so fuel use is about right on.

Jersey 93 Ty

On this topic...

I just found this page

http://www.nooutage.com/TCA-1.HTM

Great prices on 'simple' transfer switches. I prefer these... so I dont have to pick and choose which circuit I might want.
That website scares me quite a bit... but I work in the test lab of one of the largest Automatic Transfer Switch manufacturers. I've looked over their website briefly and for some reason I can't find any details about their UL certification. I'm quite a bit biased, but I've never liked Circuit Breaker-based TS's.

mangus580

That website scares me quite a bit... but I work in the test lab of one of the largest Automatic Transfer Switch manufacturers. I've looked over their website briefly and for some reason I can't find any details about their UL certification. I'm quite a bit biased, but I've never liked Circuit Breaker-based TS's.
I never liked them either... but hell, its all i can afford!! damn near cant even afford that.

I also think for the couple times a year if that, that its needed, it should be fine. Biggest trick is, dont switch the load live.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks