• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recoilless Vespa

The French are known for odd looking vehicles and all sorts of gadgets (mostly with very creative ideas behind them), but this is really noteworthy, I think.
A license built Vespa, to be dropped with paratroops, with a M20 75mm recoilles rifle mounted on it. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMCA_Troupes_Aer%C3%B3l_Port%C3%A9es_Mle._56

:smile:

I wonder how this can be vertically aimed properly, though. The M20 seems to be mounted statically to the Vespa and is not meant to be dismounted. Also, I wonder if the driver had Asbestos underwear, because he almost had to sit on the gun while driving. After firing a few shots that thing got surely hot.
Another positive aspect of this setup is that one always could plug the rear exhaust of the M20 and fire it, for a lightning fast retreat backwards :)

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

madsam

I usually make fun of Vespas, but I guess I would have to think twice if that came at me.

It is not aimed straight compared to the cycle because the steering goes down the middle, so the mussel is left of middle. The rear of the gun is in the middle. So it fires off to the left. You would want to be stopped when firing, or it would fling the thing to the right. You would have to run right up the tail of someone to use it. Maybe brake up road blocks. No one would be scared of a Vespa untill it got close enought to do damage.

ida34

The set up is all wrong. The breach should be at the front of the scooter with the bore facing rearward. This is so they can fire while retreating.

Sgt Hulka

Now, now. I laugh at the past exploits of our French cousins as much as the next guy and have found their government posture infuriating at times. BUT, the modern French military are well trained and led. The Foreign Legion are top troops as are their airborne. When their nuke carrier went down recently, their airwings kept current on our carriers. Great footage of Rafales flying off the Big E on youtube...

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2010.

Didn't I see this one on "The Last Remake of Beau Geste"?:p The French Foreign Legion would be formidable with or without that contraption, otherwise I guess it would do pretty go at picking up chicks in PAris: "Say Mademoiselle, would you like to see what makes my Vespa tick?" (Done with a peppi le peu accent......)!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

Last edited:

Snarky

Motorcycles are handy little personal transportation devices. I can practically carry my xt225 on any vehicle, and then release it and am able to do 70 mph with cargo.

I thought the Vespa was Italian though?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks