• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy, Fort Lewis WA.

BRDM2nco

Hey all! Ive been stationed at Lewis for almost two years. I love the Soviet car as my name dictates, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get one!

I'm from Wisconsin originally.

-Sgt Rogers

DanMartin

Welcome Sgt. Rogers! Great to see more Northwest (USA) people joining. If you like big green iron, this is the place...does not seem to matter what shade of green...we love 'em all.

I know there are a few of us over in the UK who can get hold of old Soviet-era iron. You might want to check with some of them for dealers and importers who could help you in your quest.

Also check out posts by "tatra813". He is sort-of-local (Washougal) and has a big Soviet truck (You can guess which one). Here's a link to get you started: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=27447

Oh, and thank you for your service to our country!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wecome to this great weather. It took me 3 hours to get home tonight...12 miles!!!!

BTW, I'll be trying the deuce out in the snow this weekend. Wannna go?

Also, the mule SUCKED in the snow...no weight. It was fun though:p:p:p

datsunaholic

Welcome, welcome. I was at Ft Lewis last week, and managed to get lost (again). You know you're off course when you see tank trails...

When I was in Egypt with my unit I got to ride in (not drive, unfortunately) a Soviet-built tanker truck. They were refueling all our Mobile Sensor Platforms (an MSP is a HMMWV with a radar set on it) and I had to ride-along to make sure they made deliveries to all the posts.

After 20+ years of service in the Egyptian Army the truck was a real mess... no start switch anymore, the driver just crossed 2 wires to crank it. Half the gauges didn't work, not like the Egyptians could read them anyway being in Cyrillic. Had CCCP right on the face of the gauges.

I was examining the tires when waiting for the driver. They had the inflation pressures etc in both Russian Cyrillic and English... and the legend "Made in the USSR" in plain English right on the tire. Note that this was 10 years AFTER the fall of the Soviet Union... these tires had probably been on the truck 20 years.

Oh, and for how beat the truck was, the horn worked perfectly. In fact I never saw a single vehicle in Egypt with a non-op horn. And it was proven over and over again that the horns worked.

Anyway, as for our beautiful weather, my Deuce came with a complete set of tire chains for the NDCCs. Not that I'm particularly inclined to INSTALL all those chains at this moment. I don't have anywhere to go that badly. With my 50-mile each way commute, I just stayed home. I don't want to spend 6-8 hours sitting in my 4X4 waiting for the jacknifed busses to get removed off the freeways.

BRDM2nco

Haha yeah, people are driving like crazy out here! The hill leading up to my house is deadlocked, 6 cars off the road and four accidents from people sliding backwards.

I've been browsing through some of the Commie trucks, and I think what I would eventually like would be to have a Soviet Armored Car and a big green truck to tow it with. Im supposed to deploy early-mid year, so I'm trying to get my research done for when I get back!

It also sucks because the Lewis Museum has a BRDM type just sitting there! No info plate or anything!

I've been having trouble finding information about the vehicles themselves, aside from the obvious wiki/janes intel. Ive seen some BTRs that have Dodge motors, which sounds promising as I may have an easier time with parts, but I still cant pass up the sex appeal of a BRDM2. What do people stateside usually pay for a decent running car like that?

wiggall

Welcome, welcome. I was at Ft Lewis last week, and managed to get lost (again). You know you're off course when you see tank trails...

When I was in Egypt with my unit I got to ride in (not drive, unfortunately) a Soviet-built tanker truck. They were refueling all our Mobile Sensor Platforms (an MSP is a HMMWV with a radar set on it) and I had to ride-along to make sure they made deliveries to all the posts.

After 20+ years of service in the Egyptian Army the truck was a real mess... no start switch anymore, the driver just crossed 2 wires to crank it. Half the gauges didn't work, not like the Egyptians could read them anyway being in Cyrillic. Had CCCP right on the face of the gauges.

I was examining the tires when waiting for the driver. They had the inflation pressures etc in both Russian Cyrillic and English... and the legend "Made in the USSR" in plain English right on the tire. Note that this was 10 years AFTER the fall of the Soviet Union... these tires had probably been on the truck 20 years.

Oh, and for how beat the truck was, the horn worked perfectly. In fact I never saw a single vehicle in Egypt with a non-op horn. And it was proven over and over again that the horns worked.

Anyway, as for our beautiful weather, my Deuce came with a complete set of tire chains for the NDCCs. Not that I'm particularly inclined to INSTALL all those chains at this moment. I don't have anywhere to go that badly. With my 50-mile each way commute, I just stayed home. I don't want to spend 6-8 hours sitting in my 4X4 waiting for the jacknifed busses to get removed off the freeways.
I am getting better at finding my way around Ft. Lewis. The first time I drove around the BASE FOR TWO HOURS, and I HAD A GL MAP! Tried to flag down a RENT-A-COP, and he just drove by me! Ask several Severce personal, and they did not know where the DMRO Building was, but I found it. picked up my stuff ab gone in twenty minutes! FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD946 1969-1973

BRDM2nco

Haha, I sure dont know where it is! Lewis is pretty sizeable for sure.

To all of you who have served, thanks for your service and giving us new guys people to look up to.

AN/ARC186

Welcome Aboard! I work at Fort Lewis myself,glad to see another member from the area.
I was watching folks trying to go up the hill near me after all the lovely weather we've had, I think I'm gonna get some bleachers, sell tickets and call it "Idiots On Ice!"

rsh253

Welcome to SS, Sgt Rogers; and thank you for your service. I think you'll really enjoy the helpfulness and friendlness of the folks on this site.

I aslo wanted to say "Hey" to all of you from WA & OR that posted on this thread. After living in the Portland and Seattle ares for nearly 30 years, my wife and I moved to Charlotte at the being of this year. We do like the Carolinas very much, but also miss the PNW. :cry: Looking at the weather conditions up there this past week, however, not so much. I enjoyed taking a walk Christmas afternoon with the temp at a very enjoyable 70F. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself & just had to say that! ;-))

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I've been up here for a whole 3 months and am ready to go back south to Cali...Oh gimme that 70 degree X-mas againauaauaaua

ABN173

Hey SS,

I am a recent member also, currently I at FT Benning, GA but I will be moving up to FT Lewis, WA early February. I hope my M1009 will be up to the long drive, before all the comments start she will be checked out completely before the trip.

CW2 Dale Campbell

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks