• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need help with big genset.

jwaller

need help with big genset. WITH PICS

I believe I have a non generating MB15 16 or 17. it is skid mounted. I cannot read the data plate but I know its nsn is 6115-00-081-2030.

any info of pics of the unit would be nice.
I would like th eTM's and I know the eng is good and runs it just does not make power.

If is for sale if anyone wants it.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

I couldn't fine a TM for this Gen Set, but I did fine some info on the MB16, 100KW Gen.

6115-00-081-2030 Characteristics Data
Criteria- Characteristic CURRENT TYPE- AC AC WATTAGE RATING- 75.0 KILOWATTS AND 100.0 KILOWATTS FREQUENCY RATING- 50.0 HERTZ MINIMUM AND 60.0 HERTZ MAXIMUM PHASE SINGLE/THREE LINE TO LINE VOLTAGE IN VOLTS- 190.0 AND 380.0 AND 208.0 AND 416.0 LINE TO NEUTRAL VOLTAGE IN VOLTS- 110.0 AND 220.0 AND 120.0 AND 240.0 POWER FACTOR IN PERCENT- 80.0 EXCITOR TYPE SEPARATELY- EXCITED EXCITOR- INCLUDED AMBIENT TEMP IN DEG CELSIUS- 25.0 TEMP RISE RATING IN DEG CELSIUS FOR CONTINUOUS OPERATION- 60.0 MANUFACTURER NAME- GENERAL ELECTRIC CO. IDENTIFYING NUMBER- P/N 5SJ4444P21Y4 PRIME MOVER COOLING MEDIUM- LIQUID COOLING METHOD- RADIATOR PRIME MOVER STARTING METHOD- ELECTRIC MOTOR CRANKING VOLTAGE IN VOLTS- 24.0 AUTOMATIC STARTING- FEATURE NOT PROVIDED PRIME MOVER MANUFACTURER NAME- CUMMINS ENGINE CO. PRIME MOVER IDENTIFYING NUMBER- NH220 MODEL NO. MOUNTING TYPE- SKID OVERALL LENGTH- 123.000 INCHES NOMINAL OVERALL WIDTH- 42.000 INCHES NOMINAL OVERALL HEIGHT- 72.000 INCHES NOMINAL RADIO INTERFERENCE SUPPRESSION- INCLUDED WINTERIZATION FEATURE- INCLUDED HOUSING TYPE- INCLOSED INCLOSURE TYPE- FULLY INCLOSED MANUFACTURERS CODE- 98752 DESIGN CONTROL REFERENCE- 66D44463

garp

Personal experience with older gensets says that maybe a quick "flash" will cure the no power output. Find the two wires running to the field windings,should be about a 14 ga wire, trace them back to the regulator and determine polarity of each lead, one is POS, one is NEG. Jump battery power to the POS lead with the engine running for a couple seconds. this will re-polarize the windings/regulator. Just a thought.

Last edited:

jwaller

Personal experience with older gensets says that maybe a quick "flash" will cure the no power output. Find the two wires running to the field windings,should be about a 14 ga wire, trace them back to the regulator and determine polarity of each lead, one is POS, one is NEG. Jump battery power to the POS lead with the engine running for a couple seconds. this will re-polarize the windings/regulator. Just a thought.
I was told this could possibly be the problem. I am definatly going to try it before I start replacing parts wholesale.

I just need the tm's so I can figure out where to mount the batteries (it's harder to know where they aren't there and I cant find the original cables). and how everything is supposed to work.

it's got the cold weather kit which includes the multifuel heater for the oil and batteries.

jwaller

Now with pics

I got the thing running today. pretty easy really plug in a slave cable and flip 1 switch and it was running.

now I was told the gen does not put out any power. it' needs an exciter or so I'm told.

It has a 4 cylinder cummins just like in the 809's but smaller. its even got the arctic kit with diesel heater to warm it up on cold days.

any idea of it's value? it is for sale as I think I'm over my head with this thing.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks