• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator safety

AN/ARC186

I've seen quite a bit of traffic on this so as an electrical inspector I have to weigh in,

When connecting a generator as a means of backup power make sure to follow the National Electric Code and all applicable local codes !!!!
If you don't have a transfer switch(manual of automatic)do not hook up to the main service panel in your house. DO NOT BACK FEED THE PANEL. This is illegal and very dangerous. I know some back feed through a dryer or range plug. this is a very hazardous practice.You run the risk of back feeding the grid and killing a linesman.Code requires a mechanical interlock between the main(power co.) and generator inputs to a panel, switching off the main alone doesn't cover it.
Ground(bond) the generator to the service panel ground(bonding) system and use the right size extension cords for the loads you are going to be powering.

If you are not sure how to properly connect a generator, get a licensed electrician to do it, in some areas this is required.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great point! I agree! I have personally witnessed a few residential fires because of improper generator connections. Have a licensed electrician do the work and where applicable, with a permit.
Insurance companies (no offense intended) have very deep pockets and they will go after anyone and everyone to get their money back.

papercu

BTY Just to be clear, the local power company rules are the ones you have to follow. In many cases they are the same as NEC but not always. Wayne

AN/ARC186

BTY Just to be clear, the local power company rules are the ones you have to follow. In many cases they are the same as NEC but not always. Wayne
If the NEC is more stringent then local codes then it has to be followed(provided your state has adopted it, not all have)
If local codes are more stringent than the NEC then they need to be followed in addition to the NEC.
Depending on who you talk to from your utility provider you can get several interpretations of codes and their own policies, some of them wrong.
More than once I've talked to homeowners who did their own work and it failed inspections simply because they weren't aware that there are several codes and laws in place for work being done.
My point is, when in doubt, hire a professional.

papercu

From the NEC "The "Authority Having Jurisdiction" inspects for compliance with these minimum standards." and "Most states adopt the most recent edition within a couple of years of its publication. As with any "uniform" code, a few jurisdictions regularly omit or modify some sections, or add their own requirements (sometimes based upon earlier versions of the NEC, or locally accepted practices). Note the "locally accepted practices" Even if you hire a professional and it has to be inspected, the AHJ(in this case the Power Company) has his own interpretation AND the final say. Wayne

AN/ARC186

From the NEC "The "Authority Having Jurisdiction" inspects for compliance with these minimum standards." and "Most states adopt the most recent edition within a couple of years of its publication. As with any "uniform" code, a few jurisdictions regularly omit or modify some sections, or add their own requirements (sometimes based upon earlier versions of the NEC, or locally accepted practices). Note the "locally accepted practices" Even if you hire a professional and it has to be inspected, the AHJ(in this case the Power Company) has his own interpretation AND the final say. Wayne
Good point, we had an AHJ issue come up here having to do with utility provider and it was determined in court that the State is the AHJ and had the final say since the utility provider is a corporation and not responsible for code enforcement. It may differ where you live.

So , if we can get past this point, all I am saying is, do it right, do it to code/applicable regulations or don't do it at all.

Last edited:

deuceman51

I'm a Journeyman Electrician and I agree with Dan 100%. If you don't know what your doing, don't listen to the idiot at the local Home Depot that thinks he knows everything about electricity. Spend the extra money, hire someone who is licensed and knows what they are doing, and save someone elses life. I could start an entire web site with all the things I have seen a homeowner do themselves. Sometimes it defies common sense, but most of the time they tell us that the guy at the hardware store told them it would work. The transfer switch isolates your generator and prevents it from backfeeding the lines. A transformer steps down high voltage to a usable voltage for your home. If you feed it from the home through the transformer it will step it up to high voltage and could kill someone. Be sure you are doing it the right way and you won't have any problems.

mangus580

We (as a vollie ambulance) actually had to call tv stations during our last major storm... to get the word out.

We even hauled an EMT off for it!!

dirtyfingernails

I did what Dan recommended. I called an electrician that did generator hookups. It cost me (let me tell you--it cost me!), but I feel comfortable that the job is correct, up to code, and won't harm anyone.

Attachments

dependable

This is a good post, I was told if I turned off the main, it was ok to backfeed pannel. I believe you and will look into a manual shut off. I still don't understand how the main being off would not isolate my pannel from grid. Have used my small genset before to save frozen food and pump well only when power off. I sure don't want to hurt the linemen.

AN/ARC186

This is a good post, I was told if I turned off the main, it was ok to backfeed pannel. I believe you and will look into a manual shut off. I still don't understand how the main being off would not isolate my pannel from grid. Have used my small genset before to save frozen food and pump well only when power off. I sure don't want to hurt the linemen.
Code requires an interlock(transfer switch) that prevents the main feed from being switched on while the generator feed is on or the generator feed switched on while the main feed is energized(works both ways)
When you turn off the main you do prevent feeding back into the grid but the interlock is there as a safety just in case someone were to accidentally try to turn on the main with the genset still online.
Transfer switches are usually readily available at most home improvement centers.

majorhitt

I've seen and heard too many ways to hook up a generator without a transfer switch. What arc186 says is what has to be done. What you see in dirtyfingernails post is great. (By the way thank you for getting an electricain to do the job. ) However it's not the only way. There are smaller panels you could mount along side your existing panel that have the interlock and wires, circuit breakers etc. look into Generac generators and panels. What dependable said in his post " I was told to turn off the main" more than once someone turned on the main with the generator running and the utility power pack on line, The result was not very pretty. Be safe the life you save may be mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks