• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripin CARC

NEIOWA

Looks like my post from last week got lost.

I need to strip CARC from some DOD surplus equipment for repaint. Need down to a nice smooth surface (so I think primer will also have to go). Repaint goal is nice shiny glossy BRT (Big Red Truck) in fire engine red (for our Fire Dept). No OD or suede finish. Entire M911 size truck and M747 tlr among other items.

I assume there is not (or have not found) a chemical stripper that will work. What blast media is advised or has been found to work well? Material are Aluminum, steel, plastic/fiberglass. An all purpose material? Sanding disk is not the preferred method.

Soda, Walnuts, plastic???

M1075

I don't have any experience with it, but I have heard that you need to be really careful with CARC. If you haven't already, I recommend you fully research CARC on the internet and the problems with removal. I'm excited to hear about your project and look forward to seeing some pics. I'm sure the M911 will look awesome. What do you haul with it?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Plastic media, typically the operator will be in a breathing apparatus, supplied with fresh air.

NEIOWA

Jones said:
Search google under CARC paint. Not too far down, maybe starting on the second page, you'll start seeing listings for chemical strippers.
Have you used any? I talked to mfg of one of these some time ago. Primarily intended for cleaning up painting equipment. Would strip parts if could immerse the part in a bucket of stripper. Which obviously isn't going to get any M911s stripped.

Jones

Nope, sorry; just saw the links. Our tactic is to just paint over the existing CARC or send it to depot. We're always getting reminders of how bad it is to sand and how much protective gear should be used. The ground quartz, silica and heavy metals in the early stuff makes it pretty unfriendly. If you want to get rid of it for something easier to deal with, you might think of a commercial outfit that does automotive paint stripping and uses a booth and positive pressure respirators. They're set up for and used to standing in a cloud of finely ground sand. Pricey but compared to one's health a worthwhile investment. Once the CARC is gone it's not something you should have to do again with any of the other camo paints out there. Will do more sniffing around but in the meantime, Hope this helps.

Jones

Yeah... Just wish I could run a personal vehicle or two through once in a while. 'Course mama might not be too pleased to get her Escalade back with fresh CARC all over it.

Wyattearp

I do have a question on this as i am wanting to repaint my deuce, over the original CARC paint is a Blue paint, can one sand this off without disturbing the CARC, I do not have the resources or funds for the breathing equip. etc as you mentioned.. Could i just sand the blue paint lightly and then go over it with a 2k primer or 36K that i can put on all at once?

Jones

First, let me say that I'm not the end authority on CARC... and that free advice is worth what you pay for it.
From what I can gather, the bad part of sanding CARC is releasing very tiny particles of the silica and heavy solids used to texture and color CARC, into the area where you're breathing, getting the dust on your hands and clothes and maybe rubbing your eyes and etc.First I suggest getting an MSDS on CARC and seeing what the hazmat on the dust is. Streams, ground water and the like. If you want to paint over the blue paint, I'd think in terms of a stiff bristled brush and power washing. The water will keep the dust from rising. If you're sure you want to remove the blue paint there may be commercial strippers available. Try it on a small hidden area first of course.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, I'm not a paint expert by any stretch of the imagination, but IMHO, if the present layer of paint is solid, I would just rough it up by sanding it. Areas that have no paint or have to be cleared to bare metal should be primed and filled with any of a number of fillers for a smooth finish.
Never understood the reasoning behind removing good solid paint that is already sticking to and protecting the metal.

Bjorn
MVPA19212

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure there are special primers for use over old polyurethane type paint (CARC is a polyurethane type paint , like DuPont "Imron" for example). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Bjorn

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I painted my latest M35A2 it had the CARC tan on it. It was rough as most CARCs are and the paint seemed to be pretty well adhered in most places. I hit the entire truck with a 4000psi pressure washer, gave it a soapy bath and pressure washed it again. Since the CARC was so rough I painted right over it with Gillespie 383 green. The paint stuck like glue and still has a bit of that texture to it. Been 2 1/2 years and the truck looks great. (the buyer lives 8 blocks away).

Wyattearp

thanks for the advice guys, the blue paint was put on by the town that had the truck, its not rough but more of a smooth type paint, thats why i was asking as im not familiar with painting and wasn't sure if i just painted over this blue that it would stick, Might be that light sanding and then using that 36K primer which has the hardner and can be colored will work.. will have to consult a paint guru at one of the paint places nearby....
Thanks for the help and advice

Jones

Here ya go lad,
Here's a good place to start looking for info;
http://marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/cpac/paint_list.asp
These are the MSDS' for CARC and a quick glance seems to indicate that breathing the dust is the bad part of dried CARC. Wet sanding should fix that problem. Might be handy to download a copy of the relative MSDS' for future reference in case one wanted to spray CARC in the future. Always nice to have these things to fall back on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks