• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ginormous (Singles) Tire Balancing?

FSBruva

With the impending arrival of my deuce, I am starting to dream up ways to spend the money I don't have yet...

Eventually, I want beadlocks with some meaty tires (of course). Will highway driving bring up the need for wheel balancing?

I have been looking around and found some info about using golf balls, Centramatics and Dyna-bead. Any thoughts?

Matt

hummin2london

brilliant minds must think a like, our too! I just asked the same question in my bobjob update. I'm curious to know as well.

cheers!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I have heard great things about dynabeads and BB's in the Jeep/offroad community. BB's are cheaper (especially since you will be using pounds of them), but they could invite rust. I would think that many small objects (dynabeads etc.) would be better than a few large ones.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to know what units by name. No one in the military cares about wheel balancing. When tires wear out, they get new ones. What happens usually is the company gives a unit some free items, and then the company gets to say are legitimately in "are in use by the US military"
Hell, show me some units that still have M35's.. There are no more M35's in use by Active duty units. NG and Reserve, Maybe, but thats doubtful as the FMTV is replacing me M35 and M900 series.

Pappa-G

Hell we're still flying Heuys and OH58As, It wouldn't be right to be in a truck that wasn't as old as the aircraft. Between 35 and 45 years old is just getting warmed up! :wink: ~ Pappa-G

FSBruva

Wanna talk about OLD??!?!?!

The oldest ship in the CG fleet is the CGC STORIS. Commissioning date: 30 September 1942!!! The MACKINAW, which my ship is replacing, was commisioned in the winter of 1944!!!

Matt

Jones

Check out www.imiproducts.com for their product called EQUAL.
They have the beads and even include filtered valve cores to keep the beads from jamming the valve core open. Will be using them in my 1600X20s when I get the baby HEMTT on the road. Lots of outfits around here are going to them.

FSBruva

Cole-

You put a few golf balls in the tire when you are mounting it to the rim. Once you get up to highway speeds, the centrifugal forces holds the golf balls against the backside of the tread. As the wheel bounces (from being unbalanced), the golf balls get moved around. Once they stop moving, it is because the wheel has stopped bouncing, because it is balanced. The only thing is that golf balls (especially if you use a lot of them) can be loud and.... what's the word... not intimidating - bouncing around inside the tire at slow speeds.

Here's some info about the Centramatics, which uses the same dynamic balancing principle:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/johnsjeep/centramatic/centramatic.htm

Matt

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Except for the whole irreversible nervous system and brain damage, e.g., loss of motor control, numbness in limbs, blindness, and inability to speak part, mercury would probably work pretty well :)

Hookin1

we use eqaul in our service trucks it works great. it comes in a bag and its powder. throw the bag in the tire mount it and hammer down. the bag splits open dumping the powder into the tire. being powder no noise at slow speed and no vibration getting up to speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks