• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting antenna bracket

rfischba1

Any suggestions to this minor problem? I tried to remove the 4 bolts that are in place on my CUCV that would hould the antenna mounting bracket. When I try to back out the bolts to mount the bracket only one bolt comes out the other three keep turning. There is no way to access the back of the bolt, its inside the bed. Any tricks to this, I hate to use a grinder to remove the bolts and mes up the bed.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grinder or sawzall is going to be the fastest way. You could try to wedge something between the bracket and fender to tighten the riv-nuts against the fender but the riv-nuts and fender are probably rusted so they'll keep spinning.

ONTOS66

I have the same problem on my M1009. Initially it had rear mounted antennas on both sides, then went to center mounted when the system changed. So I have 4 spots with 4 holes each. I've tried to remove the bolts but most of them just spin as you described. I was wondering about a spot weld to hold the dohickey in place so the bolt could be removed - but haven't had time to followup on that thought.

Do you intend to replace the antenna mounts or just remove the bolts and fill the holes?

Attachments

OKCM38CDN

The original mounts for the M-1008 - 10028 vehicles used 1/4x20 Rivnuts which are like poprivets and set into the steel with a special tool... if they do not pull out they will need to be cut off with a dremel tool or grinder...

bbbang

I just fixed my M1009 today with the same above problems, on both the driver and passenger side.

Had to spot weld two rivenuts to get the rusted bolts out. Had to weld a nut onto one broke bolt to get it out. Had one hole where the rivenut and been pulled completely out on the blazer body, and so welded a nut back in the hole. I then ground and tapped all the holes, and everything is good to go and ready for paint.

I also mounted an original Chevy console in the M1009 today. Finally a place for my coffee cup! A good friend of mine fabricated a custom bracket for me to mount the console in, and I primed and spot welded the bracket in the blazer, and bolted the console right in. It was a fun but cold work day. Chris.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks