• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally!!! Chapter 4

FSBruva

Well, after:
1. Seeing the truck in person and making an offer
2. Hearing that the front transmission gasket blew
3. Hearing that the main transmission bearing disintegrated

It looks like I will be picking my truck up tomorrow at about noon!!! Got a buddy of mine heading out with me to at 0530. We borrowed some radios and headsets so we can maintain comms between truck and chase car on the way back.

Pics will get posted as they get taken!!

Matt

FSBruva

I should add... I am picking the deuce up north of St. Paul, and am driving it basically straight east until I hit Green Bay. 331 miles!

Don't worry, plenty of pictures and stories, I am sure!!

Matt

FSBruva

Leaving at 0530 from Marinette, WI, and heading:
41 S
22 W
29 W
94 W
35 N

Returning the same way, or via WI-64, leaving from St. Paul at noon, I hope!

Matt

FSBruva

Okay... Here it goes:

I wake up at 0500, having stayed awake like a kid before Christmas. Called my buddy Ray who would be doing the drive back in my car. Met at the car at 0530, and soon underway. Stopped for quick breakfast in Oconto Falls, and then pushed on through.

Got a call at about a quarter to nine (3.25 hours of driving out of 5.5 done)... it's the guy replacing the transmission. He doesn't like the looks of the winch PTO, as it's that gear that looks like snot, and is what contributed to the destruction of the previous tranny. AHA!!!! The truth comes out. Maccus had mentioned to me that these tranny's were pretty much bombproof. However, when a ne'er do well PTO gets invovled, all bets are off. Anyways.

Well, the guy at the shop obviously doesn't want to put on a bad PTO because he can't guarantee that it won't ruin the new tranny again. But, he also knows that I am well over halfway to his shop. So he is trying to let me call it off so he can have more time to fix it. But by this time, Ray had already figured out that this was a LONG day, so I was pretty sure I would not be able to coerce him into making another trip later. So, I said to heck with it, and told him to pull the PTO off, and just put the plate across it. This satisfied him, because he didn't have to feel guilty about a shoddy job leaving his shop. It satisfied me because I would be able to retrieve the truck as planned. So, on we drove.

Arrived at his shop at about 1130, and he was about 20 minutes away from done. He had put the PTO on the old tranny, and was gonna load the whole thing in the bed for me - which I thought was pretty awesome. So after he finished, I hopped in the seat and took off all his little post-it reminders about how to turn the truck on. She fired right up, waited for the buzzer to go off, and away we went (@ 12:00).

Stopped for gas in Anoka (@ 13:51), got mad at the pump because it stopped me after $75.00, so I had to start again. Noticed a leak (drip (wait one second) drip) of engine oil from the flywheel housing .... minor heart attack. But it slowed and stopped with the motor running, so I think it was old oil from when the 1st tranny had the accident. Checked oil level, added 1 quart, and shrugged.

Had lunch after fueling/oiling in Anoka and pressed onward. The radio headset worked really well for me and Ray to hone our traffic kung fu, and St. Paul traffic was no worries.

We stopped once right after we entered Wisconsin so I could make sure the hub temperature was good - it was a brief stop.

Started to rain and I thought I could just deal with it until I noticed that the wipers weren't THAT bad... it was just water spray on the inside of the windows. Oh well, put on my rain coat, and drove on.

Drove and drove and drove until we got to Shawano and stopped for fuel (@ 1914). Also got roll or paper towels for plugging leaks around windows.

Drove till we got to Marinette (@ 2100).

Now I am back, and the truck is in clear view of my room. Tomorrow I will tear open the PTO and old tranny and post pics of that somewhere, along with pictures of the truck.

After 360 miles and lots of hours, I can only quote 73m819...

"LONG LIVE BIG GREEN IRON!!!"

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it back Matt! Little tidbits of advice. I always have a stack of shop towels to plug little leaks. Another neat item is a little squeegee for the inside of the window. Always keep a towel inside so you can dry oneself off. If you don't put a dome light, get one of the little headlights, they work like a dream. Let me know if you end up needing a PTO, I think I have a NOS one here someplace.

FSBruva

More fun

Chapter.... I heck, I've lost count.

Today: PTO and Tranny disassembly/inspection

Alright, so first picture shows the front of the transmission. I am no expert, but I don't think that the transmission leaves the factory looking like that....

Attachments

FSBruva

No, you might be asking yourself... Where in the **** did all that metal from the front of the transmission go off to? Well, most of it can be found here... resized into easy to carry shavings!!

Attachments

FSBruva

That concluded my inspection of the tranny/PTO. Looks like I will be back in business for a fully winch capable truck very soon, and at little to no cost. Marvelous!

Other pics I took today of the truck are in the photo gallery. Enjoy!

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt, betcha a dollar to a donut the PTO wasn't properly clearanced when installed. When they don't have necessary clearance, all kinds of bad things happens. Might be the case!

FSBruva

Kenny-

Yea, that's what Maccus was mentioning to me today, too. However, how did that front plate on the tranny disintegrate? And, how come there is no (visible) damage done to the PTO gears or the tranny gears?

Matt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
looks like the front snout broke off ,tacking the input shaft bearing with it(as it took the load and a ;ot of metal) ive seen this happen before when a trans is louse at the bell houseing, this puts a side load on the snout and this is the end results

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks