• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling a truck in Colorado?

Bettendorf

I bought a truck from Ft. Carson on GL and I'm currently waiting for my EUC to get approved. I also applied and paided my $60 for my SF97 for the truck. I live on Ft. Carson and was really hoping to just drive it home the couple miles when the EUC got approved. Do I have to wait for the SF97 to get a title from the state and then register it to drive it out of the lot? I can get insurance for it, no problem there. Thank you very much.

mcmullag

I bought my deuce from bulldogmack13 and he already had a title for it.
Here is what I am hearing though, may help you out. If you ask GL, they will give you a Florida title for that $60, then take that to the MV place and have it transferred into a CO title. word on the street is, GL is signing the SF97 in the wrong spot and the CO motor vehicle place wont accept it because GL is signing in a line labled 'purchaser'. Thats all I know. Good luck.

colomil

I bought a M1009 from From Ft Carson a few months back and the sf97 took a few months to complete. The EUC was about 12 business days (not my first). Once the EUC is approved and you get insurance, you could try to get a temp tag from DMV. You will need the GL invoice, a VIN inspection, and the proof of insurance form. I have never tried the temp tag route, I just waited for the SF97.

Dieselsmoke

I live on Ft. Carson and was really hoping to just drive it home the couple miles when the EUC got approved. Do I have to wait for the SF97 to get a title from the state and then register it to drive it out of the lot?
You don't need a SF97 or title to remove it from G/Ls storage lot, just your paid invoice.
Since you live on post and do not plan to drive it public roads right away, the only issue would be with the post. I'd talk to the MPs...although since the lot isn't far from the housing area I doubt you'd have any trouble.

Crash_AF

As far as I know, you need to have an SF97 for the vehicle, and GL is technically the purchaser of the vehicle from DRMO, then they sign the SF97 over to you.

I'm going to take the SF97 for a 1009 I bought over to DMV later this week and I'll have some current intel for you on the requirements.

I do know for a fact that you will need a VIN inspection (any dealer can do them), diesel emissions certificate (if diesel) and proof of insurance before they will issue you a registration for it. You can get a temp tag to legally take it to the emissions station.

Later,
Joe

breelanr

Crash_AF is correct...
I have titled 3 trucks in Colorado from GL. You need the SF97, VIN inspection, insurance and emissions. There are procedures in the motor vehicle office title manual that covers SF97's. If they are confused, have them check the manual.

Bettendorf

As far as I know, you need to have an SF97 for the vehicle, and GL is technically the purchaser of the vehicle from DRMO, then they sign the SF97 over to you.

I'm going to take the SF97 for a 1009 I bought over to DMV later this week and I'll have some current intel for you on the requirements.

I do know for a fact that you will need a VIN inspection (any dealer can do them), diesel emissions certificate (if diesel) and proof of insurance before they will issue you a registration for it. You can get a temp tag to legally take it to the emissions station.

Later,
Joe
I'm really interested in how it goes for you. Where are you getting the diesel emissions certificate done at? Thank you everyone for your help!

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
No emissions if its a Duece , they run on gas or put multifuel on the VIN inspection . I too have done it on trucks from Carson .
Need SF97 , Proof of insurance and the paper transfering the SF97 to you.
If its a 818 etc. or a CUCV the people at the DMV will give you the name of a place to get the test done.
Joe and Ray are right , take your paid in full invoice and proof of insurance the DMV will give you a temp tag for two weeks.. if I remember right. I drove the 818 off carson with the temp tag. Guess im the guru of the DMV in the Springs , funny thing each one will give you a diff. ansewer.

colomil

I wore a janitor uniform to DMV and it didn't help. Not sure what you are talking about :p

Since I live outside the emissions area I didn't need any of that e-test crap. One of the main reasons I moved way out east...

When you go to DMV with a SF97, the person behind the counter will look at you with a puzzled look on their face. Talk them through it. Also, since you paid county sales tax already through GL, mention that so they don't ding you for that again.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Guess you arent currently serving in the Military. :wink: If you go in Military uniform you dont have to wait as long. :-D You will see the sign at the DMV for that window.

He's right talk em trough it

KaiserM109

I bought a truck from Ft. Carson on GL and I'm currently waiting for my EUC to get approved. I also applied and paided my $60 for my SF97 for the truck. I live on Ft. Carson and was really hoping to just drive it home the couple miles when the EUC got approved. Do I have to wait for the SF97 to get a title from the state and then register it to drive it out of the lot? I can get insurance for it, no problem there. Thank you very much.
I live in Commerce City, CO (4 mi. west of DIA) and bought a deuce at Ft. Riley, KS '07. When I got the EUC I drove my Bronco to Ft. Riley and drove the deuce back, towing the Bronco. My avatar is taken just outside the east gate of Ft. Riley.

Check with your insurance agent, but I was told by mine that my insurance would cover the trip home. I did not get the SF97 for 10 months; the deuce has been in storage since I brought it home.

In many counties in Eastern Colorado vehicles are required to have an emissions inspection. I am in Adams County and it is required, a friend who owns a deuce lives in Larimer County and does not need it. You live in El Paso County and since January, 2007 emissions are no longer required for gasoline powered vehicles. See: http://car.elpasoco.com/NR/exeres/D03F3B92-2183-4D5E-BEB2-78B7C1CBDB7A,frameless.htm I am not sure how this affects a diesel truck or multi-fueler in El Paso County, but for me it makes no difference. There is a link on this page to the state emissions program that might help you.

You will also need a VIN inspection because it was titled out of state. Any law enforcement officer can do it for you and if he/she doesn’t have the paperwork it is available on line; just Google vin inspection. I also had 3 trailers that needed to be inspected so I arranged to have a State Trooper come to my storage area. Jon in Strasburg had his neighbor do it.

As far as driving it the few miles from GL to your home, there is no problem. You will have to have the EUC and a printed copy of the invoice they email you to pick it up, but not the SF97. Do you have a place to keep it parked? Many places, such as my neighborhood, have restrictions on vehicles over 7,000 lb.

When you get your SF97, take it and the VIN inspection to the Department of Motor Vehicles in your county and file for the title. If you are also planning to register it and get plates, you have to show proof of insurance; if you need an emissions inspection because it is rated as a diesel you will need it then. I have the title to my deuce but have not registered it yet so I have not had the emissions inspected and I do not have insurance yet. Until I get the fuel pump working, it will stay that way, too.

Did you get the drop side deuce I was drooling over? Congrat's on becoming an MV owner! We need to have a Front Range Rendezvous, I'll bring my kitchen trailer.

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Multifuels and Gassers done require emissions. I had them title one Duece ,MF multifuel and the other they put gas beacuse it runs on that also . Like Glens truck . Thats El Paso County

KaiserM109

Multifuels and Gassers done require emissions. I had them title one Duece ,MF multifuel and the other they put gas beacuse it runs on that also . Like Glens truck . Thats El Paso County
This brings up an interesting question, in my county I have to have my multifuel deuce inspected for emissions and a diesel inspection is a lot more expensive than gas. What would happen if I show up for a gas inspection burning diesel? I wonder if it would be worth it to flush the tank and put gas in?

We were told in the Army ('60s) that burning gas in our multifuel trucks was bad, bad. Is there any truth to that?

PS my truck is a NON-turbo model with a Continental engine.

Last edited:

70deuce

Here in Douglas County, south of Denver, I have my current deuce registered as an "Collector Truck/Tractor" and that comes with a pretty cool plate (1st pic). Its also a 6 year plate. Because of this even though Douglas County has emission tests for diesel trucks, it is not required for this type of registration and its very easy to renew. My current deuce already had a Colorado title when I bought so I have not done the SF97 drill with the DMV in this county. Anyone out there done it yet in Douglas County?? I have an M818, a 38' trailer and a new very clean deuce just won at Carson (2nd pic) that I will have to title. I'm hearing it might be easier to do the Florida title thing. Did have a temp plate on the M818 and it required proof of insurance, the sales receipt and a VIN inspection to get. Easy to do.

Attachments

colomil

If you live outside of city limits in douglas county (for any county, I think...) you can register trucks as "Farm Vehicle" and get around a bunch of B.S. The registration is a little cheaper if I remember right.

We should have some kind of front range MV get together. We could probably help each other with inspections/loadouts since we get our stuff from the same place.

70deuce

hello again colomil, if you haven't already, check out this website of the big club here in the Denver area. http://mvcconline.org/ We have been working with each other to pick stuff up down there and in the last year we, the club have probably won a dozen deuces, a handful of CUCV's, multiple trailers including two different 38 footers, and assorted other "stuff". Newest acquistion by a memeber attached. I'm the Treasurer for the club.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks