• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford GTB Burma Jeep

metalshaper

Hello fellow GTB Burma Jeep owners. I am deep into the restoration of a Bomb Service Truck and interested in talking with other owners and am looking for a few parts. The usual missing stuff, top bows, horn, etc....
Looking for the passenger seat or good drawing or photo of one so I can fabricate one for my vehicle. Any and all GTB talk or parts welcome.

patch

Talk to Bob Stahl Wrentham MA, I think he has some and he's not too far from you. Great guy too <http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/stahl/index.html>

Timespanr

01-09-2009
Please find attacted ten (10) pics the dipict the passenger set (or drivers set -which is the same set turned side ways w different mount) for your GTB incase you havenot found what you were looking for. Its a favority of mine, would appreciate any pic you can provide me in return. Boyd

Attachments

metalshaper

Boyd,
thanks so much for the GTB photos. My bomb carrier came from California so it is in very good shape. Engine is at the machine shop and I am going thru the rest of the mechanical parts now. Attached are some photos of parts in progress. I am missing small things like the horn, speedo cable, etc... and all the parts trucks I come across seem to be missing the same parts. Also interested in finding the small hand winch that was used to move the hand hoist back and forth along the beam. More to follow.
Brian

Attachments

Bodger Baz

I just got myself a GTB, it was originally a bomb truck but has a cargo body balancing on the chassis.

i need a few parts to get going, like a transmission cover, fuel tank and some pictures of how the front support for the cargo body so i can make one.

Also need to find a good supplier for engine parts and if possible a carb rebuild kit, i have the original carb nut i have been told that it needs some attention.

heres a picture of mine

Baz

Attachments

Last edited:

metalshaper

Gtb

Hello BAZ,
Good looking GTB. I will try to get some photos up on the site of mine and the progress I have made. Carb parts are not hard to find, will send along some info as soon as I dig it out. My GTB started life as a cargo truck but was converted early in its military life to a bomb carrier and is very complete. Are you leaving yours as a cargo truck? Keep in touch.

Brian

Bodger Baz

Yep i will be making a cargo variant as the cargo body is in very good condition and still has original paint on it. i need to make the mounting for the body as it was a bomb truck originally.

parts are very hard to come by in the UK so i will be trawling the internet to find parts from the USA. any info on places to find parts for the motor and carb will be a great help.

Cheers

Baz

metalshaper

Baz,
for hard parts I like to use either macs, or joblot. You can search Macs at. www.macsauto.com. I don't have the address but type in Joblot Automotive and you should find them. They are in New York, USA. I have gone thru my transfer case, transmission, front and rear ends, winch and pto, and have recorded all the bearing numbers that go into each unit so if you need any of that information let me know. My engine is being overhauled right now and all the parts for that came from : Egge. Look for them at www.egge.com they have everything you will need to rebuild the engine. My frame is sandblasted and in epoxy primer and all running gear is finished so a rolling chassis will be finished soon. Photos to follow.

Brian

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are awesome saves, that Steel Soldiers made recently. These bomb trucks are rare as hen's teeth now, they have mostly rotted away the past 60 years. The fact that there are restorable examples this long after the war is nothing short of amazing.

metalshaper

Glad to have saved a bomb carrier and lucky that mine came from the west coast and is in very good shape and complete. Still searching for a passenger seat for my vehicle, or even one to copy. I can fabricate one from a good photo or drawing if anyone has one. Anybody out there ever see any top bows???? Been looking for years with no luck, but always hopefull I will stumble across some. Trying to get some photos posted hope they come thru this time. Some photos of the front and rear end coming apart and rebuilt. Sandblasted frame and parts, and turning those monster drums. About as big as I can get on the brake lathe. More to follow.

Attachments

Bodger Baz

I'm going to cut down a Jeep rear seat to make the passenger seat for my GTB, they are very similar to look at, a guy in the UK has cut a Jeep seat for his GTB and it looks perfect.

Baz

willisoverland

I have an old Burma that is pretty much complete. I think they quit using it because of the brakes, about forty years ago. If somebody could use some parts, I will see if it is on mine. This one is original except that a section of the bed has been cut out and a huge winch is bolted to the frame. The front section of the bed is there and the rest of the bed. Just a two foot section is missing where the winch is. I realize that on a restoration, the little things are hardest to find. The Devil is in the details.

willisoverland

Parts

No seats unless they are around here somewhere and I don't remember where. The two covers in the middle are there. The spare bracked is there. No windshield frame. It has a fabricated aluminum top, so the windshield was probably removed when the top was installed. I may have taken the seats out when I moved it because they were loose, it was years ago, maybe fifteen. I will get a picture up soon.

metalshaper

Glad to hear there is another survivor GTB out there. Guess the top bows are already gone but I am looking for a good set of them. Also there is a small hand winch on the boom which will bring the trolley winch in and out. Mine is missing that small hand winch so if it is still around I would be interested. Mine is fairly complete but as you know the details are what makes it. Hope to see some photos.

Brian

willisoverland

Neither one of those items are here. This one did not have the bomb apparatus on it. As far as I know all it needs is some gas and it should run, besides a set of tires. Hope you find what you need. There was another one I will check on.

Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks