• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Upstate NY newbee - looking for advice

jfccac

Hi,

Yet another Newbee from upstate NY.

I'm a USAR retiree looking to get into the hobby. A friend of mine just picked up a M35A2 from a collector somewhere out near Auburn NY. His new toy has got me thinking.

I'm thinking a 'base model' M35 would get me engaged....but I'm not totally sure.

This is what I would most likely use the vehicle for:

- Towing a 23 foot boat (twice a year)
- possibly plowing snow
- general yard maintenance (dirt and mulch)
- travel in inclement weather (possible transporting of snowmobiles??)
- possible off-roading

and of course...cruising for chicks (yeah right).

I do have a place to store the machine...

I'm not sure if I should stay with the M35 series or potentially look at the M109's

Any advice from the experts would be welcome.

BTW...I've been lurking for a week or so...and I'm impressed with the knowledge readily shared here.

thanx

LanceRobson

Welcome aboard!

I'm in Sennett, outside Auburn, and if your friend is Alphatruck, his truck is sitting lined up next to the corn stubble with some of ours. Give him a call, he may be coming over to get in some cross country driving in the snow. Your welcome to join him.

There's also a flock of trailers out there with the rest of the "children of the Korn" so you can see what options are available.

The snow's deep and the ground is pretty solid so it's a good time to see what they can do cross country. There's something of every flavor out there; turbo and NA, airshift and sprag transfer cases, dual and super single trucks, both kinds of GI front seats and modified bucket seats....

I've got two trucks in the shop and am putting a large batch of jerkey in to smoke so I won't be far from the farm all weekend.

If you guys treat me real nice, I'll take you to Jack and Angie G's place and you can drool on their toys. Jack's probably out in the shop tinkering the M41A1 tank, anyway.

If you want to come over and look at or try out a deuce, shoot me a PM. Dress warm, the Kee Kee birds are out.

Lance

EDIT: Hello, dhwife! I hope you're not to cold or snowed in up there!

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not many place to off road here. Winter road salt will wreck a nice one. Power steering makes it easy for chicks to drive . Register as a historical vehicle and DMV cost is 20/year. Collector type insurance maybe 40-50. Options are nice and you may wish you spent a bit more later .(Hard top, heater, winch...). You can look at mine(Bville), maybe drive it come spring time.

YankeeDuece

Welcome from the capital region.
Talk to Jack and Angie about joining Ny-Penn MVCC, Then watch how the network of knowledge and experience unfolds.
As for what to get....buy whatever you what now because sooner then later you will have one of everthing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks