• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flooded multifuel

EZFEED

Just picked up another multifuel and am thinking of making a pawer unit out of it. One problem though.....it was partially submerged and I'm thinking that its been sitting with water in it for a while.

Pulled the oil plug and several gallons of water came out, I dont know about the top end but I'm afraid to turn it over with the starter because it may have water in the cylinders.

Can I blow it out by spinning it or do I need to loosen the head bolts and crack the heads then spin it????

littlebob

just take out the injectors and spin it. loosed head bolts???? really?? if it has had that much water in it that engine porb needs a rebuild and or trash.
If it was a katrina victim, I would just try to save the body parts and scrap the rest. There are probably a few pieces of the drivetrain that can be saved
if cleaned up, but after 3yrs its all probably all gone.

littlebob

EZFEED

HAHAHA! Well I will try and snap some tomorrow. This engine was on a Genset and it really doesn't look that bad outside and so but you know how that goes :roll:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First get on the front crank bolt with a 3/4" drive socket and try to turn it over. The results of that test will tell you where to go next. If it turns all the way, the hthere is no problem with water in the cylinders. If it turns part way and stops, suspect hydrostatic lock in a cylinder(s). Remove the injectors and keep turning it, then with starter. If it does not move, suspect bad rusting in the cylinders and probably junk sleeves/pistons/rings. If it turns over with no water damage in the cylinders, I would take the pan off and check the bottom end for bearing/crank/oil pump problems from water before trying to run it.
No prob from me with no pics. We all have seen many, many pictures of multifuels!!
Regards Marti

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
EZ; one thing you might get a heads up with ,,If it sat in water there just might be a water line/stain on the out side . this may let you know how high the water was. "K.I.S.S." Keep it safe and simple.2cents

Neil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks