• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Quad Cab updates--UPDATED 11-13-05

hot rod deuce

Here are a few new pics of the crew cab its a long project and very hard to get every thing to line up. It seems the fact of the matter is that well, im used to working on older cars and trucks but things that can be made to line up "perfect" spend of few hours on the door of a 67 firebird and when your done it looks new. Spend of few hours on the door of an old army truck and it looks as good as new also. only problem im running into is that aperently no one put the care in the governments 6 by trucks that GM put into their cars. Right now im having a tough time living with the "thats as close as its goona get unless i start over" thing. BUT none the less no one will notice anyway. Just keep telling myself its better than it was when it was new....

But the part im looking for ideas on is whats BEHIND the cab. I think my final decision is to chop the frame and add what i added to the cab in an effort to maintain box space and proportions. The other idea i had what to hack off one axle and make a 4 by. or cut 18 inches off the front of the box to make the front of the center tire even with the front of the box(or back of cab how ever you think of it) I do kind of like the idea of a full box to make a bigger camper in PLUS its less work than wacking a foot an a half off the box AND adding into the frame.... options options options

Attachments

hot rod deuce

Oh and its not realy that crooked as it looks in the top picture, thats just an optical ilusion because the back cab is strait and the front one has all the taper on it. Its all so made worse by having the rear of the hard top up a little high

rmgill

Its still a 6x6 chassis right? Perhaps a bed from a 2.5 ton dump? Those are shorter aren't they? Otherwise chopping the middle section out of a standard bed would work best I think.

hummin2london

Nawww, quite while your ahead. In fact, I'll be a pal and come over and pick up the scrap for you ;-)

Now that I've finished (more or less) the BIG DOG bobjob, I'm thinking of the same type thing: 4x4, quad cab, m105 body. Or maybe 4x4, dual rears, shortened stock bed, or.....my wife is gonna kill me!

Cheers!

hummin2london

hmmmm, on third thought, how 'bout a ginourmous 6x6 command car? Super singles, stretch the cab all the way to the back, stand a spare tire up on the end of the frame rails. Ohhh, I better go lay down in a cool dark place...

Pappa-G

How about a 2.5 ton trailer box but make it a dump box. or go with the single axle and extend the cab further for a "staff car" wagon look. A big soft top would give it that 1930's gangster appeal.

rmgill

You could make the back body a hardtop like a mini M109 shop van.

Personally, I like the Canadian HUPs. I think a deuce could be made to have a similar body.

hummin2london

I hate you! ( said like a 5 year old whose older brother has a better toy) I have a spare cab and am GOING to build a crew cab just as soon as my wife forgets she told me to lay off the major construction for a while...

Seriously though, do you think the 16x20's would fit on my bobbed truck? I'm running on 6x6 rims so should not have clearance issues, but thought I'd ask. I've had several sets of smaller (MUCH) xzl michilins and love them. they would have to ride better than my xml's.

Any thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks