• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greatest threat to MVs?

Greatest threat to MVs in the future?

• EPA future regulations?

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • DOT future regulations?

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Federal concerns in DC about owning MVs

Votes: 44 50.6%
  • Insurance cost

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Fuel cost

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Social acceptability or PC threat

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Supply & demand

• Foreign sales / exports

• Local city/county zoning issues

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Other - the catch all for what I missed

• Total voters

GoldComet6

What's the greatest threat to MVs in the future? I'm thinking particularly of the the larger ones, since the smaller ones can blend in more with regular vehicles. You can vote for more than one, but I wanted to see what the consensus was...if there is one!

The official Disclaimer - This is NOT meant to be a political rant poll.

EPA- may require new emissions standards regardless of year (add converters). No compliance means must scrap her.

DOT - may require safety equipment to be DOT legal (ABS, airbags, etc...)

Federal politics - Concerns in DC about owning former "military equipment" may require scrapping rather than surplus sales

Insurance - cost increases or just won't insure them

Fuel cost - will there be a market for MVs if fuel goes to $4-5 per gallon and stays there?

Social - could they become "socially unacceptable" like larger SUVs have become to some people?

Supply/Demand - if the ready supply from GL is gone, will more trucks be scrapped for parts to supply those on the road.

Foreign demand - More overseas customers may mean more trucks shipped out of the U.S. More American aid means more exports?

Local regulations - city/county zoning requirements prohibit large trucks? Maybe your state makes it harder to own?

Other - Did I miss the greatest one? If so what is it?

Last edited:

Lorax

Well, certainly a lack of parts is a danger. Sure there are parts out there now, but eventually, as the number of trucks runs out, so will the parts.

I'll go with the DMV making more and more restrictions.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say federal politics at number one.

If they start with the DOT and EPA regs it's going to affect any old vehicle hobby and people still using old vehicles of any kind. The regs would cover many more people and the outcry would be great. Still doesn't mean it won't happen though as it seems the country is changing. I can see future vehicle sales stopping because of the EPA and DOT. Look at the m151 and the HMMWV. They are already deemed unsafe for the general public. That doesn't affect vehicles that are already out there though.

I don't think the social side would be that great either. Lets face it, I'll go out on a limb here and say that most people that own MVs couldn't give a rats a** what other people think :-D.

As far as parts go, I'd say for trucks like the deuce parts will be around for a while. With as many as there are out there I think it will be like the old jeeps. Aftermarket suppliers will start to make parts to fill the need. I do think the cost will go up though.

GoldComet6

devilman96 - I started to list that one, but wasn't sure how it would be taken by the members. Didn't want to ruffle any feathers....:-D

I'm am a little surprised that so far fuel isn't a higher concern. Guess everyone feels that if you want to own an MV - you're willing to pay to play.

kc5mzd

There is new legislation in Obama's economic stimulus package that will threaten the supply. In order to stimulate new car sales and raise the mpg of the vehicles on the road they are planning to give a government rebate to anyone who brings in an old vehicle (to be crushed) whenever they buy a new vehicle. Rumors are saying they are planning to pay $2500 - $4500 for "gas guzzlers"

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think parts supply is a real issue. If there's a demand someone will fill it. I can already buy more new aftermarket parts for my 1954 M37 than I can for my 1957 Ford pickup.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts wont be a problem.. They stopped making parts for WWII jeeps years ago, now look how many repro parts manufacturers there are...

littlebob

I think you left the biggest threat off of the pole... MV Owner Stupidity

Truthfully... Its the biggest threat we have which will bring most of the rest of the list down on the hobby. Some people... JUST SHOULDNT OWN THEM!
With the Media looking for a story all the time, I think this would be the biggest threat also. I think a lot of the other items on the list would be grandfathered in(hopefully). I do think it may be more expensive and restrictive to own one but we should all be aware that we need to keep a close eye on it and be ready to give input to our elected officials.
To be apathetic about a possible problem could be our biggest challenge.

littlebob

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Disinterest.

Compare Ft. Eustis Transportation Museum's parking lot to that of , say, Blockbuster Video Rental, or a putt putt golf course.

Or Aberdeen's Museum, one of the finest in the world, free, and located in a highly populated area of the country...

Most people just don't care. That majority can steer new legislation/local ordinances/code/rules/homeowner associations...taking rights away from others.

Blythewoodjoe

I don't know if this poll is an easy thing to decide on. After a few minutes of thought (that's all my brain can do with out hurting) I think the day will come when we won't be able to play with the toys like we want to. I don't thinking owning them is ever going to be a problem, but driving them is something a lot of people I wouldn't vote for wants to end. I think the real question is who will want to own one when you can only park it in your back yard and then trailer it to events? I have an old half track and that's what it does by it's nature but I can't imagine doing that with a 5 ton truck. I think the end will come locally and here in SC people don't care what you drive on the road. Some of you guys live in places they already "prohibit" these trucks on the road.

As a side note, there are lots of cheap houses for sale here in SC;-)

Joe Trapp

GoldComet6

When I was putting the list together DOT, EPA and concerns in DC were my top three threats too. Looks like they are still ahead in the voting.

Good point about the lack of interest being a threat - didn't think of that one. :roll:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think you left one out, that is out there and real. State MVA requirements and inspections. By requirements you may see DEMIL trucks no longer get the current pass that all of us enjoy in some states. I see the Historic tags being more restrictive. All it will take is for someone to buy a GL vehicle, take it home, and on the way crash it into a school bus or have some type of horrific accident. On this one, Devilman is dead on. Secondly, the money grabbing politicians are thirsty for revenue. So I see a tightening of laws and vehicle inspections. So buy, title and tag what you can afford. Drive it while you can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks